DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Past performance is a fairly good indicator of future performance.

That said, every company blows it from time to time. I swore by Antec PSUs until I got hammered by the 480 TrueBlue series. They just died after six months or got so squirrely the rig became unstable. I had to replace every one of them then wait for Antec to get the problem resolved so I could RMA them. Sold all the replacements on ebay at a significant loss.

On the other hand even a product as maligned as the IBM Deskstar line of drives can result in great things. Now that Hitachi owns the old IBM drive production they've released the new line of SATA 3.0Gbps drives that simply blow away the competition especially when you consider the price per drive.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cerberus, I know it can be confusing and all but the best thing you can do is research & read...I know you can spend days doing that but it's knowledge you'll gain.

I am building a new system too and today ordered a Silverstone ZEUS ST65ZF 650W SLI equpped and NVIDIA certified. I was gonna go with the Turbo-Cool 850 SSI but there is a compatability question with my LP NF4 SLI-DR mobo and I didn't want to wait till next week for an answer. For WAY less money (less than half) this unit has four 12V rails totaling 55A continuous and 65A Peak (the 850 SSI totaled 68A continuous).

You should do a search & read the specs & reviews for yourself...for $170 plus shipping it can't be bad.

What is the compatibility problem you're talking about?

The Turbo-Cool 850 SSI is listed in the PSU guide by davidhammock200!

I was gonna go with the Turbo-Cool 850 SSI but there is a compatability question with my LP NF4 SLI-DR mobo and I didn't want to wait till next week for an answer.

']i know i am probly going to get all sorts of replies along the lines of "just get the OCZ MODSTREAM" but i don't like to go along with something just because people say so, it is that whole lemmings/sheep thing.

the same gos for when people say something sucks, i find that after a while people just say it becuase everyone else says it, and few know the real reasons besides "get this is better" or "they suck don't get them"

now for my main question, i see a lot of posts of people saying to not get thermaltake PSUs, this is fine but they never say why. i have been looking at a few different PSUs, first was a Coolmax 600w modular peice

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817159049

but i read that it doesn't come ready for sli, wich i am not doing now, but want to be able to do in the future. so i was looking around and saw this thermaltake PSU

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817153024

500w with what looks like enough Amps on the +12v rails, and it is native 24pin. but it is a little lower then i wanted for a PSU, but figured i could install a Less exspensive PSU later to run hdds and optical stuff.

i am really leaning to the thermaltake due to the modular design, i am really partial to it, my question is why not thermal take, besides the fact that it isn't an ocz psu, what makes it bad. i would like some substantioan reasons besides "i had one umpteen years ago and it blew up" also, how do you PSUs make it onto this "a" list, is there active testing still, or have you found enough, and just refer back to the ones on the list?

i am open to persuasion on this topic, i would just like better reasons then i have seen.

OCZ ModStream 520W Review: http://www.slcentral.com/ocz-modstream-520w-psu/

Thermaltake TWV 500W Review: http://www.slcentral.com/dual-12v-psu-shootout/page5.php

As you will read, this TT TWV 500W is probably the best PSU ever offered by TT,

however I must still recommend the OCZ MS 520W as it is "KNOWN" to give good service with DFI N4 mobos.

Just got my OCZ Modstream 520W PSU few days ago, running fine with my DFI DAGF. :D

i have some silly question here,

im planning to upgrade to Ultra-D or SLi-D during X'mas time (Im sure that time these 2boards will quite cheap. :D ),

and im thinking to change to ANTEC 550W TruePower v2.0 PSU (Dual rails and SLi certified) , is it neccessary to change OCZ to ANTEC ?

Im going to run 2x6600GT SLi setup too.

so,question is the OCZ Modstream 520W PSU is it enough juice for tat spec im going to get ? OCZ Modstream 520W only 28A +12v rails ...

even in my current setup, my +12v rail voltage seem quite low , only 11.84v under full load ... :(

I need more feedback from those who using ANTEC TruePower v2.0 on Ultra-D or SLi-D..

Since now the ANTEC PSU removed from the 'A' listed recommended PSU list..

suggestion appreaciated .

thanks.

Just got my OCZ Modstream 520W PSU few days ago, running fine with my DFI DAGF. :D

i have some silly question here,

im planning to upgrade to Ultra-D or SLi-D during X'mas time (Im sure that time these 2boards will quite cheap. :D ),

and im thinking to change to ANTEC 550W TruePower v2.0 PSU (Dual rails and SLi certified) , is it neccessary to change OCZ to ANTEC ?

Im going to run 2x6600GT SLi setup too.

so,question is the OCZ Modstream 520W PSU is it enough juice for tat spec im going to get ? OCZ Modstream 520W only 28A +12v rails ...

even in my current setup, my +12v rail voltage seem quite low , only 11.84v under full load ... :(

I need more feedback from those who using ANTEC TruePower v2.0 on Ultra-D or SLi-D..

Since now the ANTEC PSU removed from the 'A' listed recommended PSU list..

suggestion appreaciated .

thanks.

Where you getting those voltage readings from? Better to use a digital multimeter for better accuracy. Check here:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7069

BOL!! :)