DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) ok thanks, i plan on running 2 cards - eventually. right now i have the nf4 sli-dr mobo, 74 gig wd raptor, i just ordered my 3700 san diego and 2x512 ocz 400 rev 2 platinum dual channel kit mem. working on the rest hehe
Then just invest less than $80 on an Enermax 535W. :nod:

I am looking for a good PSU for a system build I am starting.

Here are the planned stats:

Motherboard: DFI LanParty ut NF4 SLI-DR

CPU: AMD 64 3000+ venice rev E

Memory: 2x512 OCZ PC3200 Plantinum Rev 2

Video: Nvidia 7800GTX upgradable to SLI

HDD: 200gb western digital sata-150

I hope to have a system that will be able to overclock fairly well, and be able to upgrade to X2 and SLI down the road abit. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Please go back and read the forum rules. Pay attention to Rule 4A. Even though you don't have a rig yet, you can put it "under construction" in your sig.

All the information you need is posted right here in this thread. See any post by davidhammock200.

I hope to have a system that will be able to overclock fairly well, and be able to upgrade to X2 and SLI down the road abit. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

How are the Vantec Stealth 470W.

Van-470A

26A at +3.3V

47A at +5V

28A at +12V

I recently got a coldstart boot problem. I tried doing everything except replace the PSU...last thing I want to do. It worked before with the old 3/10 bios but now it doesn't.

28A at +12V

(1) PC P&C 510 Express/SLI

(2) OCZ PowerStream 600W

(3) Enermax 600W

(4) Fortron/Sparkle 550W (EPS w +12V@36A)

(5) OCZ PowerStream 520W

(6) Enermax 535W.

#5 is IMO the "Best Bang for the Buck" at about $120. :nod:

How are the Vantec Stealth 470W.

Van-470A

26A at +3.3V

47A at +5V

28A at +12V

I recently got a coldstart boot problem. I tried doing everything except replace the PSU...last thing I want to do. It worked before with the old 3/10 bios but now it doesn't.

28A at +12V

With +12V@28A you should be fine for your non-SLI rig.

Does it have a native 24-pin ATX? :confused:

The +12V rails are added together to obtain the total Amperage for the PSU... very simply one rail will provide the main power and the other for the misc connectors..

To find PSUs that will fit your system, please refer to the first post of this thread.... the PSU is often overlooked when building a system and can make or break your OC or even at stock.... read up and choose wisely :D

I have seen alot of PSUs with two 12v leads how do these translate to the DFI board, and how do you rate the total 12v output. I am looking for a PSU to provide at least 34A.

Just a bit of clarity here.

If you look at the ATX 12V 2.2 power supply spec. you will see that the two 12V rails are applied like this...

One rail provides 12V to the ATX connector and all other 12V connectors including the Floppy, 4pin Molex, PCIe video card connector and SATA connectors.

The other 12V rail provides 12V to the 4pin or 8pin CPU connector only.

You can see the difference between the wiring by noticing the "regular"12V line is a yellow wire while the second 12V line is yellow with a black stripe.

The +12V rails are added together to obtain the total Amperage for the PSU... very simply one rail will provide the main power and the other for the misc connectors..

To find PSUs that will fit your system, please refer to the first post of this thread.... the PSU is often overlooked when building a system and can make or break your OC or even at stock.... read up and choose wisely :D

So which PSU is better a single 12v or a dual, or are they about similar if they both provide the same amp on the 12v?

The theory is, dual +12v lines are better because one rail will provide a clean, isolated power souce to the CPU. Everything else that requires +12v, like ExRoadie said, is powered by the other rail.