DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Alimentation-550-watts-...1QQcmdZViewItem

[EDIT] The guy emailed me and said it is in fact a 520W Modstream.

Is the modstream the good OCZ PSU, or is it the powerstream which everyone praises?

How about the Fortron Bluestorm if i'm tight on budget ?

I have one which is almost identical, and it ran SLI fine, and seem to run what I have now ok. I'm still looking to get an OCZ though, as I fear that my PSU may be holding back my oc.

I'm not a fan of removable cables on power supplies. The Modstream has never made the preferred list here at the Street.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Alimentation-550-watts-...1QQcmdZViewItem

[EDIT] The guy emailed me and said it is in fact a 520W Modstream.

Is the modstream the good OCZ PSU, or is it the powerstream which everyone praises?

I have one which is almost identical, and it ran SLI fine, and seem to run what I have now ok. I'm still looking to get an OCZ though, as I fear that my PSU may be holding back my oc.

Ok, so it wouldn't even be preferable to my Fortron here, which I could probably do the entire swap for a cost of maybe $20 to me?

So it's only the Powerstream series which are the ones worth getting.

What about the Gamextreme ones too?

Ok, so it wouldn't even be preferable to my Fortron here, which I could probably do the entire swap for a cost of maybe $20 to me?

So it's only the Powerstream series which are the ones worth getting.

What about the Gamextreme ones too?

You've probably seen many - like RGone and others - having positive comments about the FSP Epsilon, which has been on the market for over 6 months. Since OCZ GameXStream is the same unit produced by FSP there's good basis to believe it will perform just as well. On a short time the GameXStream has built a up good reputation.

Since OCZ GameXStream is the same unit produced by FSP there's good basis to believe it will perform just as well.

For Clarity!

The Fortron and OCZ units are not identical.

I've had both the 600W and 700W versions of the Fortron Epsilon and OCZ GameXtream open on the bench. There are some minor differences inside and the obvious external differences.

For Clarity!

The Fortron and OCZ units are not identical.

I've had both the 600W and 700W versions of the Fortron Epsilon and OCZ GameXtream open on the bench. There are some minor differences inside and the obvious external differences.

Perfect! At last. I've asked and searched a lot, so for the continuous clarity: what minor differences can you point out? And what differences do they make, if any?

Perfect! At last. I've asked and searched a lot, so for the continuous clarity: what minor differences can you point out? And what differences do they make, if any?

There are some components with differing values on the inside. The cabling is different and the connectors on the OCZ are typical of OCZ power supplies.

From what I understand, both the 600 and 700 versions of the GameXtream have 18A on all the 12V rails.

The Epsilon 600 is rated at 15A on the 12V rails and the 700 is rated at 18A on the 12V rails.

This comes directly from the PSU labels.

Ok, but I assume it's a bit difficult to evaluate the impact of those components.

15A and 18A: Some technical representative released information about the Epsilon 600 saying that according to thorough testing it could as well be rated 18A and might be in the future. Maybe that's why the OCZ GameXStream could be labelled accordingly at its release?

I'm just curious when two highly recommended PS units proved to be produced by the same manufacturer. Obviously it's a bit intriguing to know what differences there might be.

Still it looks to me like mainly: price, availability and warranty are the factors to look at before a buy. Or would you have another input on that?