Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Honestly, if you are afraid of making a mistake, this mod really isn't for you.

Out of all the mods reported to this thread, all have had positive results.

As always, you perform the mod at your own risk.

So if i fook this mod up, will you really cover the warrenty?

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so when i restart it doesnt say anything about NF4 SLi

it doenst even show NF4 ULTRA D

is it because i didnt do this correctly?

my boot up screen is so mesed up. i restart my comp n then it just skips the screen that you guys get to see to determine which mobo you have

so bascialy when i boot. i get this greetin log. lANPARTY NF4

then it jumps to like sata harddrive 200gb blah balh balh.

so the only way i can see the screen that you guys get to determine which mobo u have. i have to reset CMOS..

n i did but it wont say NF4 anything

is it because i didnt do the pencil trick properly?

i used a normal penicil with a dull point

ok so when i restart it doesnt say anything about NF4 SLi

it doenst even show NF4 ULTRA D

is it because i didnt do this correctly?

my boot up screen is so mesed up. i restart my comp n then it just skips the screen that you guys get to see to determine which mobo you have

so bascialy when i boot. i get this greetin log. lANPARTY NF4

then it jumps to like sata harddrive 200gb blah balh balh.

so the only way i can see the screen that you guys get to determine which mobo u have. i have to reset CMOS..

n i did but it wont say NF4 anything

is it because i didnt do the pencil trick properly?

i used a normal penicil with a dull point

After clearing the cmos, go enter into the bios and load optimized settings, and also change the bios option that allows you to turn off the fancy boot screen (i believe its towards the bottom of the section "advanced bios settings". Save, exit, and you shold see SLI

/EDIT

Make your sig with your rig specs... http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/usercp.php?

ok i tried refreshing the CMOS with the jumper n removing the battery while PSU is disconected

i load up. load optimize setings. went to advanced bios and i enabled the start up logo. and i belive the start up logo thing is just the fancy Nf4 LAN PARTY

and then it went to this black n white screen. and showed the same picture as i have posted before

it doesnt say any NF4 ultra d mobo or SLI or anything.

mabye i did the mod wrong...

If you don't get the SLI display you haven't gotten the bridge connected on the chipset package.

Clean up your first attempt and try again. Make sure you have removed the epoxy so that you can see the metalic contact points. Try a different #2 pencil this time.

If you can see the contact points but the mod still fails, you might have to resort to getting a CircuitWriter pen from Radio Shack.

ok i tried refreshing the CMOS with the jumper n removing the battery while PSU is disconected

i load up. load optimize setings. went to advanced bios and i enabled the start up logo. and i belive the start up logo thing is just the fancy Nf4 LAN PARTY

and then it went to this black n white screen. and showed the same picture as i have posted before

it doesnt say any NF4 ultra d mobo or SLI or anything.

mabye i did the mod wrong...

i've found that Guide and preform the mod on the DFI i purchased yesterday.

bought some defrost repair kit, and perform the mod. now when i boot i can see NFORCE 4 SLI

my board is modded and im not even running it, but its hot to see the SLI on the boot screen,. a friend of mine also ordered a DFI ultra-d like mine and we gonna perform the mod when he will get it

excelent Guide and mod easy to do

HOLY SHIZNITS! Okay, when I first got this board, I already bought the CircuitWriter and had my X-acto knife in hand, even BEFORE I put in my CPU and powered it on to check if it works, I already popped off the NB Heatsink to mod it to SLI.

I was like "AW !@#$! THIS THING IS TINY!" and "OH !@#$! That is a !@#$ load of epoxy!" The epoxy was green, so you couldn't tell whether you cut through the PCB or not. SCARY! It EXCESSIVLY covered the whole area where your supposed to "shave it off." AND they added epoxy to an area that I was like wtf why is there epoxy there?! See picture, I didn't bother to shave that epoxy off. (See picture)

So I go find my magnifying glass and started to take off the epoxy, this lasted about 30 min. Fear stopped me and I was like screw this. I don't know why I'm doing this because I have an ATi X800XL board anyway. Screw it! So I stopped.

A few weeks later(Today). Curiosity lurked my head. I finnally took it out of my beautiful Lian-Li V-1000 case, and took off the NB again.

I started digging again for the connectors. This time NOT aimlessly scrapping away at the epoxy until I see something shiny. This time I studied the picture, and noticed that the connections where directly above the right connector below it that has a resistor attatched, only a milimeter or two away. So I started just to dig there.

For the first 30 min, I was scared as hell. Askying myself questions "Did I dig to deep?!" "What if I cut one of the traces?!" Etc. This was the scarriest time of the mod for me. I had a magnifying glass in my left hand. Xacto knife in the right.

The next 30 min, I was not so scared because, if I did destroy it, it wouldve already been destroyed. So away with the magnifying glass. EYEBALL TIME!

About an hour of looking at the picture and scraping away epoxy, I saw something SHINY! COULD IT BE?! I saw the first connection, and I cleared the whole connection of the epoxy, even scraped at the metal just to make sure there wasn't anything clear on it! The hunt for the second connection(upper) lasted 15 more min until I uncovered it. I again cleared it away from epoxy and cleaned the connection. Every once in a while I would take my lintless cloth w/ Alcohol 91% and wipe at the connection.

I gathered up myself and my balls and told myself, screw the pencil just take some circuit writer and apply. I dispensed the circuitwriter fluid onto a plastic ID card from my old highschool. I then took a toothpick and started applying it from the card onto the connections with precision. When I thought it was enough I stopped and waited. Getting very anxious after 5 min, I decided the rest of the time could be taken to put everything back into the case and connect everything. That would add up to 10 min I needed to wait for the curing time.

Connected everything, double checked. And pluged everything in. Prays to God. Press power button. IT BOOTED!(Most of my worries) Meaning I didn't damage the traces. Then on the screen:

"nForce4 SLI"

Wootage! Succesfully completed my first physical hardware mod.

Note: The green represents ACTUAL area(No exageration) of Epoxy coverage. And the worst part, it camoflagues with the pcb.

the reason y thers epoxy is cause they dont want u to perform the mods

its only in the NEW boards.

the new board n da old boards r exactly the same just that the new ones have da expoxy n thats it.