R U Having probs with Half-Life 2?

I used to have a cheap gigabyte mobo with two UNmatched sticks of RAM and Half-Life2 ran fine. I then bought what you see in my sig (same cpu as before) and the game wont play. It either crashes when trying to load the opening scene with the G-man (I get an error something like: could not load model gman.....) and when i press OK it goes to my dektop and I get the general "could not read memeory at such and such address" IF the game does load the gman model it'll be super choppy, and i'll go to walk to a new area (where the game pauses and loads for a bit) and it'll crash there. I've tried everything!!!! I cant count the hours i've spent on the Steam website :confused:

the only thing that has worked for me is running with only one stick of RAM, but in my opinion thats lame, I spent good $ for RAM that is on the DFI supported list, it should work.

Anyone esle having a similar prob????

fezz.....no problems with hl2 here. that being said it is a wonderful system stress test. especially for the memory. so it doesn't run well overclocked and doesn't run well at non overclocked settings? i am with ryder here. my bets are you have some minor thing wrong with your memory settings. have you done stress testing with 3dmark 03/01, prime95 blend testing, and memtest?

also fezz i suggest you to use cat 4.12. we (me as well as other people at rage3d) have found the 5.x cats sometimes really make hl2 choppy.

Hey thanx for the reply.

I've tried many different memory timings, different slots, different voltages. The only time it works is with only one stick of memory.....

I use xp media center 2005 and the only drivers ATI has is for it cat 5.1-5.4, and i've already tried all those :confused:

@ Ryder: When I overclock much, i have them at 2.8.

TO CLEAR THINGS UP- thew game crashes @ stock settings, even if i loosen the timings and bump up the volts. I've tried upping every voltage there is one by one, it makes no diff.

(I've played this game through twice with the same cpu and vid card- it ran great,

its he motherboard and ram that are new-and get this: i've already had the mobo AND the ram replaced because they were BOTH obviously faulty GRR)

I must face the fact that i have bad luck with hardware....

Thanx agian for the advice though guys, cheers.

Put the ram in the 2 slots closest to the CPU and boot up to memtest with these settings:

enable

auto

auto

auto

auto

auto

auto

auto

auto

enabled

auto

auto

auto

auto

disable

disable

Those are copied from the NF4 bios, but I think they are the same for yours.

Set the FSB to 200 and the CPU multi and voltages to default. Make sure the Ram voltage is 2.8V

Let me know your results

fez, just checked atis website. yep only mce support for 5.1 and up. that being said i sincerely doubt that you would have any problems using just the driver from the xp 4.12 cat.(just extract the 4.12 and do a manual install in the control panel) i used the xp driver for server 2003 for months and months without issue. the only thing i woudl stay away from was installing the wdm drivers from the xp install.

what i said to look at above is not your main issue. once you get your main issue fixed (hl2 crashing) and only if you still find your hl2 stuttering should you try 4.12.

I use xp media center 2005 and the only drivers ATI has is for it cat 5.1-5.4, and i've already tried all those :confused:

I had no probs w/ that memory and hl2 on the sli-dr, unless, the oc was pushed too high.

That holds true w/ my gskill too.

I backed down the oc and no freezing or lockups.

Try clearing your cmos in the bios FIRST and then input the settings that Ryder suggests.