AMD64 Turion Mobile

Rabbi

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vega,

i think that stands for silicon on insulator. the regular mobiles right now have that. (in addition i think almost all of the a64 chips do) what i am talking about is the process that is used for the 130nm fx55 chip which i believe is sSOI. supposedly ibm and amd got together and played around with straining/stretching silicon to get better performance out of it.(or something like that) people are talking about it over at the turion xs forum. no one is exactly sure if the new turions use this strained technique. (it will def have soi just not sure about ssoi)

here is the main xs forum

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55174

SOI is silicon-on-insulator. Just refers to a manufacturing technique used inthe chip, these ALSO use "strained silicon" material that will give less "leakage" and run at lower power/temp than the identical non-strained chip.

sounds like uwackme knows... (p.2)

Well I've been gone from the Street for awhile but I'm putting together a 754 rig right now..just waiting on the mobo and PSU. Will be running a 3200DTR but am VERY interested in the Turion. I assumed DFI support for mobile but learned otherwise today(downer) but then I remember the awsome community we got and ran across this thread(upper). I'm totally new to the A64 thing so I'll need a few weeks of frustration to get my feet but then I'm in 100%. By the way Rabbi thanks for the most detailed description of sanding down the XP90s bracket...much better than "just sand it down about half way!!"