Poll: Do all Overclockers know and tweak mem timings or not?

Guest shaolin95_merged

151 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I know what timings do and use them.
    • Yes, I use them but dont really know what they do.
    • No, I dont use them and dont know what they do.
    • No, I dont use them but I know what they do.

I know that if I read the overclocking guide it explains what everything does and how it will effect stabillity/performance. I tweak, but don't refer to the guide all the time. I should because I'm sure I can get more than 230 out of my Mushkin 2-2-2 blackline memory.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know about 75% of them and use them all. One of them allows me to look at the very slick LanParty splash screen for as long as I want, and another has 9 possible choices but only one allows the computer to boot. :nod:

yes I know what they do (generally speaking), and have tweeked them, however, if I knew then what I know now, that is how very very little they do in terms of performance, I would not have spent the days/weeks tweeking them to the max. I would've tweeked them enough to get them stable, and concentrated on cpu/video, and then onto enjoying my system.

Well, I'm too thick to understand any of the technical explanations on what they do, but i've become pretty good at guessing at what might work well, and I'm patient enough to get great results through educated guessing.

Memory timings and bandwidth have maybe 1/10th, if that, of an effect on real world applications as the CPU and graphics card does for what we use our computers for, yet the RAM usually takes the most time to tweak, so I understand why a lot of people simply don't bother.

In the end, I think ignorance would have been bliss with memory overclocking for me, since the time I put into it didn't pay off as much as the time I put into overclocking the CPU and graphics card.

I don't like leaving anything on the table in the way of performance. That's why I choose DFI boards. If I can squeeze another 1/10 from my machine, I go ahead and get it, otherwise any board would fill the bill.