The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

BartPE is a tool which creates a bootable CD/DVD using your Windows installation disk as the source. It's kind of like the Windows version of Knoppix , in case you have heard of Knoppix (Linux OS that you can boot and run from a CD).

The nice thing with BartPE is that it is fairly easy to add your favorite apps to the CD. I have added and configured some of my favorite tools:

• SP2004 - Prime test
  • Everest 2.20 Home Edition
  • RightMark Memory Analyzer
  • HDTach
  • CPU-Z
  • ClockGen
  • A64Tweaker
  • SuperPi 1.5 Mod
  • ScienceMark2
  • WinZip
  • WinRar
  • TextPad
  • Partition Magic 8 (Almost working..)

Another nice thing is that you can boot from the CD and get access to your C: drive and fix things, in case your PC doesn't boot up from the HD. Remove virus, repartition etc etc..

I plan to use it when overclocking. Boot up to my CD and run Prime and some benchmarks until I have a stable system. No risk of corrupting Windows in case the system crashes.

I haven't added any Graphic benchmarks (3DMark*) since I didn't want to dabble with integrating the video drivers into the CD - but I guess it should be possible if you wanted. Some benchmarks, like SuperPi, Everest memory tests etc do generate very similar results when run from the BartPE environment - compared to when run natively in XP. Other benchmarks doesn't do that great if you run it from the CD. I assume it depends on if the test requires disk access or not during the test. If just reads in all test parameters/code upfront from the CD and then run within RAM the results should be identical. But if the test requires a lot of disk access then you will get hit by the slower CD drive (compared to a HD). But you can put the files in a folder on your C-drive and run it from there - from with BartPE to workaround that if you want. I'm not bothering about the benchmark results too much right now. I just use them as an indicator of the speed. I'm planning to use this mainly to ensure stability when pushing the limits when overclocking. Once the system is stable I can boot into Windows and run the Benchmarks to get the real numbers.

I need some temperature monitoring tool on my custom boot CD, preferable MBM5. Having some problems getting the needed registry entries configured correctly. Will try SmartGuardian today. It looked a bit easier to integrate.

Here's some links with more BartPE info:

One bad thing with developing a custom system that you burn onto a CD/DVD is that it does generate a lot of CD coasters. You have to burn a new CD if you get one little thing wrong. It has taken me 3-4 days to get the tools above configured. On my TO-DO list is:

OCCT

MBM5 / SmartGuardian / Speedfan

Sandra 2005

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info and let me know when you finish I would like to get, are you going to share it here?

I don't think I can legally share an image of my bootable CD since it is derived from my personal XP Pro CD. But I can share configuration files and instructions on how to run BartPE to compile your own custom CD with SuperPi, SP2004 Prime etc compiled into it.

But it will probably take me a few weeks before it's in a shareable state.

Note: usual disclaimer - Use of multimeter incorrectly can have severe health risks to u and/or your equipment. If unsure on what your doing - DON'T

1) Measure your Voltages carefully with your multimeter 4 where 2 measure see:-

What is PWMIC. PWMIC Location to measure rails. Testing Your PSU Voltage Rails I don't have an aux plug but my sata plugs do have an orange 3.3v lead so i used that to measure my 3.3v.

It's useful to have mbm open on the desktop so you can match & note both mbm reading & Multimeter.

I did 3.3,,5, 12, +Vcore & vdimm tbh not bothered about LDT or chipset volts.

2) Open Voltage custom.ini should be in the MBM folder :- eg C:Program FilesMotherboard Monitor 5Data if u can't find it get it here Download Voltage custom.ini

3) Edit the factors to adjust to the multimeter readings:-

Multimeter Volts/MBM Reading x factor in Voltage custom.ini

EG 12v

V5=$24*0,0645 //V +12.00 Edit the 0.0645 to the new value obtained from

12.16/12.05 x .0645 = 0.065089

becomes:-

V5=$24*0.065089 //V +12.00

see also

Autochthon - Voltage Compensation and test points

DFI MBM Users: Mod Your Voltage Readouts

When done save Voltage custom.ini to your mbm data folder. Restart MBM & you should see calibrated voltage readings that match your Idle MM ones.

(apologies if this has been explained already in this thread)

Killer info as always supershanks. Big thumbs up.

MBM5 set up and the config file are just the start.

Measuring with a DMM and correcting the voltage.ini is the key for getting even closer. (measuring points are in post #2 of this thread) There is a link to a post by Autochthon in Post #1 as well.

And many thanks Chris for hosting an alternative download site. I owe ya :D

I've set the Venus up and been doing some testing of the various software utilities.

All the info was done in Win XP Pro x64 Edition on Venus #D607000349. Very similar to earlier results with an Ultra-D and an Expert in 32 bit.

I've tried to show a comparison of temps/voltages/fans between MBM5, cpu-z, SysTool, Everest Ultimate Edition 2.8, and a beta of the new version of NextSensor that Vitaliy (VVJ @ CBID) is working on. I really like the 3 decimal place readout of NextSensor but there are still issues with fan speeds and of course I still need MBM5 for importing data to the MatrixOrbital display and Samaurize. Nextsensor also seems to read the 12v rail correctly where all the others are a little high.

ALL the programs are still reading 8-10 degrees lower than the exact same setup on my Ultra-Ds.

I am also sure that Everest is incorrectly naming the sensors themselves and I have added the correct names to the screenshot.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//Venus-Temps.JPG

I also get incorrect results using the A64 memory tweaking in SysTool compared to A64 Tweaker. SysTool is still in Alpha stage and hopefully W1zzard can fix these bugs.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//SysToolvsA64Tweak.JPG

More details on MBM5 for the DFI LanParty boards can be found here

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

These all all EXCELLENT programs and kudos to the authors for attempting to give us what motherboard manufacturers can't, correct readings of voltages and temperatures.

Yes, of course software monitoring is no substitute for a Digital Multimeter. but if you measure with a DMM and than correct the voltage.ini in MBM5 you can get very close to being on the button. I feel MBM5's low resource use, functioning in x64 bit, and configurability still make it THE program for me.

All credit for MBM5 to it's author, Alexander Van Kaam.

Hope this helps someone. :)

@soundx98 - Hi M8 :)

There is a link to a post by Autochthon in Post #1 as well.
Doh!! knew i'd seen a good 1 somewhere - Link Added.

Originally posted above to help LithoTech & Us Opty boys seemed 2 make more sense to post it here.

I've been using

A64 Info instead of A64 tweaker, i like the layout & calculator. Also use SysTool, they all have their quircks mainly on the TREF values i find, have often taken the best out of 3 if auto has been set in bios :rolleyes:

All credit for MBM5 to it's author, Alexander Van Kaam
yep not forgetting Alfredo Milani Comparetti as well as the pps writing the software such as above.

Hope your Venus flies :D

luck :)

If you missed Autochthon's link it shows I really need to do a better layout in the 1st Post in Thread. :)

Alfredo has done great work and SpeedFan is an excellent program, but I don't recommend it for Venus/Expert, even with workaround.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...79&postcount=11

The Venus is interesting indeed, but I'm not expecting higher clocks.

Seems to be flying fairly well but I think I may have "fit" issues in the Chieftec case.