Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Yes, I sent it back to Newegg the day after I posted. I recieved a new 2GB kit and am currently using them. They are working fine with the exception that I can now only get a stable overclock up to 245 FSB. THe previous sticks that went bad had oc'd stable at 265 FSB.

then they aren't working fine as stock is 250, not 200 I'd rma them again for something else

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is still chugging along - see my previous post in this thread for my settings - although based on this thread, I'm beating the . out of this memory over the weekend of 11/26 - 27 days from when I bought it. If it shows any sign of problems, I'll call Newegg on the 28th and see about swapping it for OCZ or something.

I'm quite happy if it'll run at 260mhz - but on 11/26 it's getting tortured at 260mhz hehe... :)

I think it's safe to say that if a customer chooses to take their RAM above manufacturer spec it is also their responsibility to be punctual about keeping it cool with additional fans and/or other methods. That's fair game.

However...

From your statement, CrucialLabs, it seems the message is to take those same measures even at stock spec which if true is not something that I can easily agree with given that:

1. When I purchase high-end product I believe it should work flawlessly at stock spec.
  2. The product was engineered with RAM sinks which I believe were placed there not as an aesthetic factor but as a vital element to keep the modules at an acceptable operating temperature.

I don’t think it’s acceptable to place the burden of responsibility to keep the product cooled at the hands of the customer in particular those that run it at stock spec. Just my two cents.

1. I would be the first to say when I buy high performance memory it better work at rated speeds out of the box as long as all of my other hardware will function there too. I did not imply the memory would not.

2. The heat spreaders are there for a reason; 1. for dissipating the heat and keep the memory cooler. 2. looks.

I am not placing the burden of responsibility on anyone and this is not up for debate... If you want to OC the computer and run faster, higher clocks then it is up to you or anybody else to do what is necessary to keep everything running smoothly.

Now, I have ran that memory on the DFI NF4 Ultra-d SLI at 250MHz and prime95 for the past 5 days and it passed.

1. I would be the first to say when I buy high performance memory it better work at rated speeds out of the box as long as all of my other hardware will function there too. I did not imply the memory would not.

2. The heat spreaders are there for a reason; 1. for dissipating the heat and keep the memory cooler. 2. looks.

I am not placing the burden of responsibility on anyone and this is not up for debate... If you want to OC the computer and run faster, higher clocks then it is up to you or anybody else to do what is necessary to keep everything running smoothly.

Now, I have ran that memory on the DFI NF4 Ultra-d SLI at 250MHz and prime95 for the past 5 days and it passed.

Do you have a telephone number and extension where you can be reached?

Im going to try the settings lowboy and sharp posted tonight. Im going to try 623 bios as well, see if that helps... but I dont have much faith anymore.

Im having no luck what so ever.

The memory fails memtest at 3-4-4-10 2t 2.8v 200mhz.

I really dont see what Im doing wrong as the system was rock stable with 2x512 3200 mushkin value ram.

I'm SO following this thread. I'm putting together a system at the moment - specs in sig - and had decided to go for the 2x1 gig ballistix, but after reading this thread I'll probably reconsider.

Up until now I'm counting 25 (!) users with dead sticks or at the very least sticks that put out memtest errors. Compare that to 4 users that have no problems. There definately seems to a bad batch of ballistix out there.

Hmm, back to my search for good 2x1 gig sticks that are affordable - ram is freakishly expensive in Denmark :sad: For instance, 2x1gb OCZ Gold PC4000 (OCZ5002048ELGE-K) is roughly 470 USD in Denmark... Ach mein Leben! :P

Have any of the people that reported ram-death early in this thread had better results with the ram they got back from RMA? Or have they totally given up on crucial?

[

Mr CrucialLabs;0) I never even got around to OCing the memory. Was running everything 'optimized' to default settings. I have four fans in x2 configuration pusihng/pulling air in and out of the case... so the memory was certainly not overheating..

In any case, I may have spoken too soon that cooling the memory stopped the problems. ... They came back with a vengeance after the first day.

The tech support/customer service at Crucial is great. However there is certainly something wrong with this batch/memory.

[

Now' date= I have ran that memory on the DFI NF4 Ultra-d SLI at 250MHz and prime95 for the past 5 days and it passed.[/quote]

Mr CrucialLabs;0) I never even got around to OCing the memory. Was running everything 'optimized' to default settings. I have four fans in x2 configuration pusihng/pulling air in and out of the case... so the memory was certainly not overheating..

In any case, I may have spoken too soon that cooling the memory stopped the problems. ... They came back with a vengeance after the first day.

The tech support/customer service at Crucial is great. However there is certainly something wrong with this batch/memory.