Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...556#post1149556

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...926#post1149926

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...878#post1149878

Note that the XS forum is usually a bastion of Crucial fans and defenders. They don't do Ballistix bashing unless forced to. And the posters in question are very experienced, they will not fiddle with some setting and not remember it. If they say the stick was good and went bad under the same conditions that is what happened.

Whether people want to hear it or not. Crucial put a huge charge of bad sticks on the market.

Anybody doubting that is in denial and/or owns too much stock.

My replacement Ballistix kit will not do 250MHz and I have been running them at 245 for the past two weeks. But now I am starting to see some of the little glitches that happened with the original pair prior to them failing completely. Mostly things like hanging on reboot right now, but that was how it started with the 1st kit too.

So, Newegg's website says I have had them too long for a refund and will only replace for the same item. Has anyone gotten Newegg to exchange them for something else? Such as the OCZ or maybe the Mushkins? If so what did you have to do to get Newegg to do the exchange?

After 10 hours of HCI memtest at these settings:

250mhz (3-4-4-8 - see below)

1.7v

cpc Auto

tcl 3

trcd 4

trac 8

trp 4

trc Auto

trfc Auto

trrd Auto

twr 3

twtr 2

trwt Auto

tref 2592 (from the Crucial guy earlier in this thread)

twcl Auto

interleave Enabled

I had errors on the memtest. Called Newegg and luckily for me they'll do a refund within 30 days - she gave me an RMA # and address to send them back to for refund.

I am going to see what Black Friday sales are on for 2gb memory, may get some locally or order some OCZ from Newegg. I really wanted to like this memory but when it works great, passes all tests and then starts getting progressively worse to the point where it won't even run stock speeds that isn't what I expect from $300 memory...that isn't what I'd expect from $150 memory lol.

Edit: On the exchange question - I asked about that and she said they couldn't do that - all they could do was refund and then I can reorder something else if I like. So if you've had them over whatever the cutoff is - 30 days maybe? - and want to exchange them, push for a refund... I prefer this way anyway since now I can research what I want rather than having to come up with what I wanted right then on the phone.

well it looks like my crucial ballistix are going back ..

for awhile they ran fine at 260 3-3-3-7 @ 2.7v

now when i memtest them .. at 250 .. 5 errors .. at 242 .. errors .. and at 250 with a divider to bring the ram to 214fsb .. errors .. tried 2.8vmem .. no go .. i dont get this crap .. makes me wish i would have gotten OCZ mem .. cuz i love the tracers i have .. but their support is not so good .. ocz is on most of the forums .. they test out all new motherboards .. crucial has like NO ONE who tests motherboards or on the forums .. how lame

Okay this is very weird, after buying my memory and inserting it into my new system (Orange Slots 6-23-Official) the system would not run above 240 stable speeds and temperatures were above 38 C. What I did is tested one memory seperatley and was able to hit 260 at very stable speeds, enough to run my 7800GT at high speeds (8000 3DMarks05). Then inserted the other ram module at the same settings and my computer now runs [email protected] very nicley (Temp 33C). No idea why this was the case for me :/

crucial has like NO ONE who tests motherboards or on the forums .. how lame

Well, to be fair there is one guy, "CrucialLabs" but he doesn't show up often and, so far, his attitude seems to be that the problem is with the individual users and their respective settings, timings, etc. CrucialLabs says elsewhere on this forum that he has had Prime95 running for days on a DFI mobo and has had no problems.

I think the evidence between this forum and others shows that the problem is with the memory and that it "degrades" at various rates. It would be nice for CrucialLabs or some other Crucial representative to visit this board on a regular basis and keep everyone updated on the situation, they have to have noticed a HUGE increase in their RMA's for this model/batch. I don't think anyone wants to knock Crucial, a bad batch can happen to any manufacturer but a little info for the folks who buy high-end ram would be nice.

Cray

Well, to be fair there is one guy, "CrucialLabs" but he doesn't show up often and, so far, his attitude seems to be that the problem is with the individual users and their respective settings, timings, etc. CrucialLabs says elsewhere on this forum that he has had Prime95 running for days on a DFI mobo and has had no problems.

I think the evidence between this forum and others shows that the problem is with the memory and that it "degrades" at various rates. It would be nice for CrucialLabs or some other Crucial representative to visit this board on a regular basis and keep everyone updated on the situation, they have to have noticed a HUGE increase in their RMA's for this model/batch. I don't think anyone wants to knock Crucial, a bad batch can happen to any manufacturer but a little info for the folks who buy high-end ram would be nice.

Cray

It also seems that DFI boards are the only ones having problems with these rams.

It also seems that DFI boards are the only ones having problems with these rams.

Mine failed in three boards, two of them different Asus models.

It seems clear something funny is going on with this memory. From what I've read and now experienced, somewhere between 3 weeks and 3 months, you may see problems. There is now a post about this on HardOCP forums, one of the guys there collecting the batch numbers of the memory and trying to understand what is going on.

I had run over 30 hours of continuous tests - 21 hours of dual prime95, and at least 4 hours of memtest in BIOS and at least 7 hours of the HCI design memtest with zero problems showing up. Then out of the blue I start bluescreening with no consistency as to when/where it happens.

My Crucial Ballistix is out and boxed up to go back to Newegg for a refund - I'm just so glad I hit this problem at 3 weeks rather than 3 months when I couldn't get a refund!

One thing I am noticing with the OCZ PC3200 Platinum that seems sort of odd - no real hard facts to back this up yet as I've only had the OCZ installed for a few hours now... My PWMIC temps with the Crucial were a hell of a lot hotter at idle and load than with the OCZ. I think my PWMIC idle temp was high 40s to 50 at idle and as high as 65+ at load with the Crucial. Now I notice with the OCZ Platinum in, my PWMIC temp idles at 38c or 39c. Also, I'm running the OCZ at 2.8v and ran 40 passes of BIOS memtest, then 100% coverage on two instances of HCI memtest and the memory is nowhere near as hot as the Crucial got (measuring this with my finger so kinda subjective.) With the Crucial it got so hot even at 2.7v while running memtests that it became very uncomfortable to touch after just a few seconds. The OCZ never gets particularly hot even at 2.8v. I will check the temp of the OCZ after an overnight run of memtests. The OCZ is running way slower than the Crucial of course since it's PC3200 versus PC4000 - but if both were running stock, I'd think the Crucial shouldn't cook itself running stock.

I noticed that the weight of the OCZ modules is much greater than the weight of the Crucial modules. I don't think it's the chips but rather the heat spreader or something - the OCZ is MUCH heavier, wonder if that could be why the OCZ runs cooler...