Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Drifting - try the settings I posted on page 69 using the 406 Bios.. I have had these sticks since May and I love them. I have had them running from DDR400 upto DDR 600 plus with no problems with these settings. Currently running @ DDR540 which is what my currrent CPU likes them at for prime stable 24/7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil - I had very simalar ones than you but mine went again. I had to replace them again but the ones i have now are fine. TD1's and are even better. And as you can see from this post, they seem to have sorted it cause no ones complaining anymore. RMA them and keep them, THey are better than the g-skills and now work as they should ;)

Hi i_wheeldon long time no see :cool:

If i remember correctly you had stuttering aswell at one stage

Indeed i did. But i found that out. It was my fault. It was my setting overclocking the AA on BF2. My FPS were being capped at 49.9 when i had it on 8x and it was producing the image twice killing my system. So i had to cut it to 4x and it was fine with AF on 16x

My sticks did go again and had to wait over a month for replacements but it was worth the wait. My current sticks (see sig) are fantastic, not a problem

Indeed i did. But i found that out. It was my fault. It was my setting overclocking the AA on BF2. My FPS were being capped at 49.9 when i had it on 8x and it was producing the image twice killing my system. So i had to cut it to 4x and it was fine with AF on 16x

My sticks did go again and had to wait over a month for replacements but it was worth the wait. My current sticks (see sig) are fantastic, not a problem

Well that blows for me then im not running any AA , im really hopeing this stuttering issue is my ram :(

Drifting - try the settings I posted on page 69 using the 406 Bios.. I have had these sticks since May and I love them. I have had them running from DDR400 upto DDR 600 plus with no problems with these settings. Currently running @ DDR540 which is what my currrent CPU likes them at for prime stable 24/7

Tried the setting you suggested, still failed the memtest, since upgrading the bios I cannot now run it at 250, and the ram will not work on anything lower tha 2.8V

Getting a tad brassed off with this memory, perhaps I should stick to stock memory as to be honest I am not big on overclocking as I don't understand most of it.

Have patience - thats what o/c is all about. A lot of trail and error and a lot of frustration but it is usually worth it in the end, Silly question but Have you got the RAM in the orange slots. If they are in the yellow slots that iwill contribute to failure as the balistix micron chips dont perform in them.. What are your other Bios setting on the first page eg FSB, CPU multiplier vcore etc. Did you buy the RAM new or second hand? What on the labels on the memory. The more information the better to help you.

You need to find the CPU and RAM maximums before you start overclocking - this references a load of guides on overclocking and how to find the maximum levels .http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=67749. Download A64info - it makes it easier to change RAm and FSB settings without going into bios whilst you are finding out the maximum levels.

You might also find it useful to read the detailed DFI overclocking guide which is a great source of background information on overclocking and memory settings and their purpose

http://www.angrygames.com/files/DFI_Overclocking_Guide-1.zip

Patience whats that? :)

Ram is in the Orange slots. and I have the following settings:-

FSB Bus Freq 200 Mhz

LDT/FSB Freq Ration X4

LDT Bus Trans width 16 (down arrow) (up arrow)16

CPU/FSB Freq Ratio auto

PCI Express Freq 100Mhz

K8 Coll & Quiet Disable

CPU VID Stratup value Startup

CPU VID Control Auto

CPU VID special control Auto

LDT Voltage control 1.20V

Chip set voltage control 1.50V

Dram Voltage control 2.80V

Dram+ .03V Disable.

Current Dram config, with the only stable settings I have thus found:-

Dram Freq set 200=Ram/FSB:01/01

CPC Enable

Tcl 3.0

Trcd 04

Tras 08

Trp 04

Trc Auto

Trfc Auto

Trrd 02

Twr 02

Twtr 02

Trwt 03

Tref Auto

Odd Divisor correct Disable

Dram bank interleave Enable

DQS Skew control Auto

DQS Skew value 0

Dram Strength Auto

Max Async Latency Auto

Dram response time Fast

Read Preamble Time Auto

Idle Cycle time 256

Dynamic counter Disable

R/W Queue Bypass 16 X

Bypass Max 07 X

32 Byte Granularity Disable(4 bursts)

I really do appreciate your help with this, all I really want to achive is a stable machine.

Regards Paul.

BIT OF AN ESSAY DRIFTING (PAUL) BUT WILL HELP YOU ;)

What you got to relise mate that overclocking is'nt as simple as put this up, lower this etc etc. It painstakingly long winded and takes WEEKS!!! MONTHS!!! to perfect, and as i say, specially with these sticks, no 1 stick is the same as the other. No one can give you settings and using someone elses just isnt going work most of the time.

YOu need to go through that guide (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823) step by step, taking it all in.

As said before, Reset everything back to square 1 with te DRAM settings. Everything on auto. Then test the ram to see if there is a problem with the Ram itself before doing anything, What batch number are yours???

ALot of people are getting 200 running at 2.6V without any problems. Im getting 240 and have had it running the stock 250 on 2.6V with mine, .2 under the quoted. Very few people have hit 300Hz but mine cruised it also, that being the difference stick(s) to stick(s).

People will be able help you more if you find out....

What is the maximium your memory will go upto with the quoted 2.8V with DEFAULT SETTINGS while UNDER-clocking the processor?

(Run your processor way under its multiplyer, the lowest one to make sure. X8 or less. This allows you to raise the FSB upto whatever you want and run memtest without the processor causeing any problems because its UNDERCLOCKED. THis takes 30-40 minutes a go for full memtest. If you cant hit 250, return the sticks ASAP for an immediate replacement, YOu send it, they get it to you in 24 hours ;) Try running 250 on 2.7V if everything is fine with 2.8V, this can be your starting block)

What is the maximium your processor will go while UNDER-clocking the memory?

(THis is Vise Versa, make sure the memory runs well below the max FSB you previously found out. Then use the multiplyers to find out the maximium your processor can do. Stress testing it in SP2000 or some program like that. Be warned here, raising the VOLTS will give you more humph and higher clocks but use somekind of temp monitor to make sure the tempriture does go to high while under full stress. As you have a X2 4400, you need to run 2 instances of SP2000, and asign one to core 0, and one to core 1. I have a Opteron 175 which is duel core too and dont like mine going over 50C, absolute max is 55C but i think the X2 may take a little more but i wouldnt reccomend it personlly. Id say stay below 50C to acount for dust build up etc over time. Be warned that a proper FULL stress test should be 24 Hours or more!!!)

There your 2 starting points. Once your able to tell us these figures, then you can start to tighten the timing and playing with other things. i.e, my processor max's out at just over 2600, and my memory will do 300+. So my 11x multiplyer is useless to me haha. I can have 260FSB X10 on my processor (2.6GHZ) running a 1:1 DIVIDER with my ram running 260Hz @ 2.7V. I run it at 240 as i have no use to overclock it like that and can keep the voltages down and straign off proccessor & memory.

As i said, its not as simple as bing bang bosh if you want to see proper resaults. Main problem you'll hit is the temps. Overclocking = Better cooling, Hense my XP-120 with a 120mm fan ;) If you got stock cooling, Look at upgrading that before taking it to far

I cant remember if I have said this to you Neil but sometimes the sound card can cause stuttering in games. (must removed to test)

Yes you did Sharp , and i mentioned that i had removed it before it didnt change... come to think of it i recently removed it again this week to make sure and no change...

Thanks anyway :cool:

i_wheeldon , i forgot to mention to you my Ram refuses to work in the orange slots since about two weeks ago and will ONLY work in the yellow slots :mad: :mad: :mad:

i Wheeldon - couldn't have put it better - you saved me a lot of writing. How come you haven't cranked your CPU up out of interest. It should be able to do a lot more than 2.4 as can the memory?

Drifting - another thought. Before you start your memtest to check that you can run the rated sppeds upto DDR500 Check that you have all the DFI board power leads in - e.g the 4 pin and the floppy connection on the board in addition to the 24 pin power lead. Keep us informed of progress - best of luck!.