Cooling help please

Guest zeke_merged

Yes, i know what your thinking. what has this person done to make his computer overheat. well i have done nothing. i have hooked it up when i first got the DFI lan party ut nf2 250 gb board and to find that my prosscor was at really high tempetures. those tempetures were in the mid 50's and go even higher while playing games. so i thought to myself i need a better fan and some coolent. so i go to www.newegg.com and buy a zalman fan, the price was in the 30's and i dont know which one is which, and i bought arctic 5. i followed the procedures correctly. it lowered my tempeture only 4 degrees. and it is still at very high temps. so i decided to check if my mobo was overclocking. i go into the bios after reading what the settings should be on. i has my fsb being clocked at 200 mhz and the volage for the cpu at the minimum of 1.6. i have attempted many things in trying to lower this but could not. i have the 2800+ if that is good info :rolleyes: . if you know anyway to lower the temp this will be much appreciated.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section, paying close attention to the second post in teh 'critical' thread (about system specs in your sig).

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post.

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version. The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

What bios are you currently using. I have found the shipping bios to report higher temps than actual. And this is not with this board only. Other nf3 have reported incorrect temps. It took a couple of bios revisions before mobo manufacturers where able to get more accurate readouts.

Now if u have not read, i posted that i have NOT flashed my bios. and there is only one other upgrade from DFI's site. And no i have no "physically felt" the cpu. but when ur pc shuts down because it reads in the 60's (degrees celcius) i kinda dont like that. i put 3/4 of rize size on the cpu.(of the coolent that is).

Dude, why are you so angry? :confused:

We asked the Bios version because motherboards shipped with different versions of the Bios depending on when they were manufactured. Early versions of the Bios had temp reading problems, where they read high. Later versions of the bios corrected this. So please don't get so bent out of shape when asked a simple question. It was asked for a reason.

Anyways, you put waaay too much a5 on there. You need to remove the hs, and clean the back of the cpu with alchohol real good and reinstall. Click on this GUIDE for detailed instructions with pictures on how to properly apply as5.

Good Luck,

DS

I wish i could offer more help. But just wanted through in my 2 cents about liquid cooling. For the money people are spending to air cool with big fans, watercooling can be had. I run the koolance bu-650 case, and my temps are stable at 24c idel, 28 under load. Now I cant be sure these are precise but there close. I have been told that there prolly around 5c low. But still much cooler then alot of air cooled system ive seen.

well, i'll chime in my thoughts...being new to the forums myself, i didn't think it was such a big deal to put system specs in your sig. but, now i kinda wish he did have them there...and maybe a picture too. ;)

anyways, here goes...since i have NOTHING to go off of

1) If you actually have Arctic Silver 5, you applied it wrong...re-read the directions on www.arcticsilver.com. It seems as though you used Ceramique's application instructions.

2) One of your fans might be broken, check every fan you have. Video card, case fan, PSU.

3) Like said above, check the airflow in your case. Make sure you have the exhaust and intake fans blowing correctly. Also, make sure the air makes it into the case and then out.

4) Anything blocking your intake? Wires, dust, etc?

5) Did you recently upgrade? Maybe cooling for your old setup may not be enough to handle the new one.

Well, that's all I can think of. Post your specs and any recent upgrades...a picture of the inside of the case would help me as well. kthxbye.

my specs are in the sig. now as for the water cooling or w/e i have no money for that type of stuff.and elts see.. i dont have the cover on my case so it is receviving plunty of air. and all my fanswork. since i told u i bought a brand new fan from zalman. i will try to flash the bios again. tried once said the disk was wrong for the bios or w/e. now as for me having an attitude i have none i was just stating. and i have 2 fans on my case and they rune at fine. it is just my prossecor that is overheating . my system runs as fine as ever.

if you flash your BIOS and it's still reporting as running hot...then it's most likely your heatsink isn't seated right or your thermal interface is messed up. i don't recommend this, but i'd touch the heatsink near the base to see for myself. if it's not hot or even really warm, then it's one of the above problems. if it's really hot, there is something pushing that processor faster than it's intended clock speed.

oh, and to clear up a myth...having the case cover removed doesn't guarantee good cooling. it doesn't matter how much air is around the heatsink, rather how much air is moving through the heatsink fins.