power supply advise

I am going to be replacing my power supply, as I am getting 3.3V warnings from the windond HWMonitor.

I like the Antec TrueControl550 with front panel as well as the Fortron/Sparkle Power 530W (suggested by elts_drac in another thread).

I like the front panel control on the Antec where i can manually adjust the pots if required.

Any thoughts and all thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

front panel control on the Antec where i can manually adjust the pots if required.

A number of people have had trouble getting the outboard mounted pots to 'vary' the voltage fully upward. Maybe some over-ride circuit?

And another reason that I would hedge my power supply expenditures downward is that neither of the power supplies you mention is forward looking. The new stuff coming is going to require quite possibly what only the PC Power&Cooling is 'now' furnishing in way of hookups. I would hate to spend the funds required to get that Antec Thing and then have to upgrade to another power supply for the required cabling. That is certainly the reason I would go with the 'totally' adequete but much cheaper Fortron so as to not take such a giant hit at the next upgrade.

But hale that is only me and I am only jus ole RGone...1ster>:)

for me, there is a $5.00 difference between the PSU's at my local suppliers in my city (in Canada)... 159 vs 164

What leans me towards the Antec's is their 3 year warranty over the Fortron 1 year.

For a more forward looking PSU... should I consider something like the Antec NeoPower 480? Look at all the cabling options.

RGone, would the NeoPower be something like what you had in mind?

oh... I think I know what you are refering to... BTX

I found one that has a 5 year warranty from OCZ... the OCZ POWERSTREAM 520... and is downward compatible to todays mobo's.

I found a review on it here, as well as a fairly lengthy article.

...and I found it at a canadian online supplier for the same price as the Antec 550 (thanks to a sale price). So... minus a tax and add a shipping fee... should be close.

For DFI boards Ive been using the Superflower (since 3.3V rail mod's unneeded).

Directron sells them, $75-80ish... the 120 or 140mm fan models are awesome AND have great cooling aspects at low noise.

@2nd choice is 530W Fortron.

Originally posted by uwackme

...since 3.3V rail mod's unneeded

I'd like to hear more on this... maybe I don't need a new power supply... is the mobo somehow responsible for my current 3.3V problem? Is there some other option other than PSU replacement?

Placed my order for the OCZ PowerStream 520 on Sunday night, hopefully I will have it early next week... I went for non expidited shipping as I decided to send my mobo in for the ZIF resolder.

:( I will miss her;)

hmmm... I think I am going to replace all my case fans too:)