Official CASE pic thread! 56k BEWARE!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the case without the window, then added my own because I did not like their window.

A question for you and others that have modded a case to create a window. I’ve notice screws thru the case into the plexiglass (I’m assuming plexiglass ) in all the ones I’ve seen photos of. Is that necessary? I might do this to my case someday, and was figuring on glueing the plexiglass to the case. Are there reasons one wouldn’t want to glue it in?

What did you use to cut the case? Dremel? Grinder?

Guest Blooz1

There's many ways to attach a window - screws, bolts/nuts, glue, double sided tape, velcro - on and on!

As to cutting a window, you can use a jigsaw, or a Dremel with a reinforced cutoff wheel will also work fine. Just take your time, let the tool do the work!

Excellent Tape. 3M 4011

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(rln0xi45...spx?SKU=9039587

I used it to secure my Internal LCD. It's designed to hold 5 pounds and adheres well to rough surfaces.

3M 4010 is clear, holds 2 pounds, and is designed for smoth surfaces (like glass)

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(3cdl1jy0...01''%20X%2060''

A question for you and others that have modded a case to create a window. I’ve notice screws thru the case into the plexiglass (I’m assuming plexiglass ) in all the ones I’ve seen photos of. Is that necessary? I might do this to my case someday, and was figuring on glueing the plexiglass to the case. Are there reasons one wouldn’t want to glue it in?

What did you use to cut the case? Dremel? Grinder?

Screws worked the best for me, never tried glue or thought of using it. I like the looks of the screws, but if you were going for a streamed lined look it would be nice to use glue. I used a airpowered die grinder to cut the hole in the side, and a tablesaw to cut the plexi.

Thanks for all the advice. That industrial two sided tape looks like a good alternative. I’m sure there is a glue for anything and everything. There was an incredible documentary on glues on the History Channel recently. Amazing what they use glues for these days. They even covered thermal grease, which, obviously, isn’t just a glue. Very interesting. Worth watching as I’m sure they’ll show it again.

Seeing screws visible just looks a little tacky to me, but obviously others think differently. However, before I completely inserted my foot in my mouth, I just looked at a case on Newegg, and there are visible screws holding the window in the Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000. I never noticed them before. Small screws with heads whose finish matches the case. Well, I’ll obviously roll this project around in my head for a while before I undertake it.