Picking New Parts - Need Advise

VenuS

Hi everyone! Its nice to see all of you guys overhere! I wish only the best for this merged community!

Maybe some of you will remember me when i had the Building My Rig Diary on DIY street back then

when i build the 939 rig.

Ok guys, now i'll list what i have in mind for my new rig. The rig basicly will serve me for gaming

and lots of audio (ac3,dts) and video (x264,xvid) encoding.

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Intel

Edited by VenuS

Motherboard:

P35 DS3R. since you come from the street, you might have heard how much everyone loved this board. some people actually married it and if you check Dr_Bowties thread in here, you see he even got a baby (G35 mATX baby!). nothing but good about this board

Q9300. this is a good cpu, no doubt. however, if you are going to overclock it, you might consider a Q6600. with the higher mulitplier itll OC better. if you plan to run it at stock this wont matter and the Q9300 is a good choice. judging by your choice of cooler im assuming you wont OC all that much, so good choice.

As for Intel vs AMD, at the moment Intel simply offers better overall performance. in the future this might change, but for now sticking to Intel might cost your soul, but itll serve you well

the graphics card. a 8800GT(s) or 9600 are all excellent cards. the prices of the 8800's might drop when the 9900's arrive, but they wont for another month. and judging from the last release, itll be some time before you can find them on stock anywhere. ATI also planes to release there 4000 series end june/begin july and there are some high hopes for those as well

should you wait? cant say for sure. the rumours seem to indicate both nvidia and ati are going to make a performance jump, but only time will tell

as for the DFI boards, DFI is only worth it if you are going to OC. they are great boards, but then you should pick another cPU and cooler for sure, and maybe also ddr2-pc8500 ram if you stick with Yorkfield cpu's and are going to OC

:withstupid: on pretty much everything he said.

As for the cooler... it's seems like you could do better. The egg lists that cooler for $55ish. For that price, you could get into a TRUE or something of that caliber.

As for AMD vs. Intel... If you're looking to OC, Intel is the winner. At stock speeds, it's sort of a wash. In mid-range systems that aren't OCing, I think the two companies pretty much tie. In low-end stuff, AMD can come in a bit cheaper. But AMD just doesn't have the OC headroom at all, so it loses that battle.

Also, to elaborate on the points above on the new graphics cards that are on the way... My understanding is that the new nVidia launch is only a flagship card (read: mega-budget). So if you're shopping the 8800GTS 512 or the 9800 cards, the newest card will most likely be out of your budget (assuming it stays the same). So you may see a bit of a price drop in the range you're shopping why they launch, it probably won't change your decision on what to buy.

On the ATi side, though, the new stuff may very well present better competition for the cards you're currently looking at.

i didnt even check the price of the cooler you picked. for the same price you can get a zalman 9500 or 9700 with a nice controller. they are really good. both to make your pc silent or to OC

Thank you guys for helping me out and for being truthful.

The reason i thought going for Q9300 is the only because its 45 nm and will use less power

and generate less heat. Is it really something to cosider? For a second thought i can save

some buck by going for Q6600 and overclock it a little bit to 2.5 and get same speed as 9300

and even more cashe. Sounds more reasonable and i think i'll do just that.

Right now, if i going to get same speeds but AMD system, i'm definately going to pay more

so i think i'll switch to Intel for this time. And for the CPU cooler i decided to get the 9500A.

If you get a Q6600 try your best to get the "G0" Stepping, A Q6600 will do 3Ghz with very little or even without any voltage increase so hardly any extra heat is produced.

The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro I think is the best out of the lowest priced coolers. It can handle quite a lot for its size and at $15 its an absolute steal. You won't find another cooler for the price that will cool as good, just read the reviews at newegg, just trying to save you some money VenuS.

If you are running XP then you could choose 2 x 1 Gb of RAM which would save you even more money. For Vista get 2 x 2Gb

The 8800GT is the perfect choice for price / performance, if you buy an eVGA then you have 90 Days to decide if you want to upgrade.

The DS3R, I love it, super easy to overclock and plenty of SATA and USB2 ports. If your not going to need RAID then the DS3L is even cheaper.

You definitely DON'T need to spend a fortune to run high end games and software, these Intels from the E4300 and up all overclock insane amounts so you get excellent value and overclock potential.

For Quads the Q6600's price is great ATM, for Dual Core the E8400 is a great choice. And realistically, unless you do a lot of Audio/Video editing or image editing you really won't see the benefit of a Quad Core. No real world difference in games between a quad and a dual core either.

Make your purchases based on Price / Performance, cut corners where you can and spend a little extra where you can't

Good luck on your new build

Has noone mentioned the P35C-DS3R yet? The C in the name stands for both DDR2 and DDR3 support, which is totally useless at current DDR2 and DDR3 prices! They perform roughly the same, but DDR3 costs roughly 5 times as much!

Also, you seem to be lacking PSU in there? :) I'd grab the PCP&C Silencer 500W (for the lack of the 610W option?? Discontinued already???) or the Corsair VX550W.

I had some luck these days and my local store got the 8800's in stock and price was

dropped tremendously. So i got my self an eVGa 8800 GTS 512 Mb KO Edition.

512-P3-N845-AR.jpg

KO edition is overclocked and run at 678 MHz GPU and have 1944 MHz effective memory.

The price was really attractive and i couldn't resist it. And i'am really happy about my

this new purchise.So for the GFX i'am settled.

As for a memory, Branjo, you were right, i can also save some additional money by going for 2 GB of ram.

I installed once Vista and unfortunately all my basic progs i use dosn't support it so i returned to XP in a blink.

Is it really useless to install 4 GB of memory right now? Maybe i should try XP x64 so it will use all this ram?

windows xp will see somewhere between 3 and 4GB. so not really useless. itll just use a bit less.

That is true, also you never know what may happen to the prices of DDR2 so if you can get a good deal on 4 gigs then it would be a wise investment.