Hardy Heron Review (non-occ)

razor

hey guys, was poking around the interwebs and found this review of Hardy Heron. I'm (eventually) gonna finish building my 2nd PC, and intend on installing this to get my Linux feet wet. any of you guys try it out already or have thoughts on the review?

I have it on 5 or 6 rigs and I am going back to 7.10 as soon as I get time to format and install (maybe this evening). I had no problems with 7.10 and FAH, I put 8.04 on and about once a day a WU gets to the end and just hangs. I had to quit folding with the rigs because I dont have the time to baby sit it when it hangs and run qfix, delete the WU results run qfix again so it will submit...

I'm running hardy, and to me that review wasn't all that relevant. For Bittorrent, I just use uTorrent (ran through Wine). I don't burn cd's that often, but the one iso I burned worked perfectly. Fire..what? Use Opera. I rarely search for files because I keep everything well organized. Even so if your personal preferance is Beagle, than just install it.

Pretty much that article just reviewed individual applications instead of Ubuntu. I recomend making the switch, you can always set up a DualBoot/Virtual Machine with XP (I have mine set up so that the virtual machine is my dual boot...if that makes anysense)

• 2 months later...

I have been using it for a couple of months now, totally love the feel. Its still like trying to learn Chinese to me though but there is a wealth of help out there.

ATM Im a cut n paster to solve my problems lol. love the little desktop effects, the rain drops is my favorite

I run it on a work laptop and we have another which is used for troublesome disks that Windows won't read. Works right off the bat with everything I have thrown at it and the new interface can be tweaked and is a bit Vista like visually.

A sound O/S that does take a bit of mastering, but when you do it's excellent - if you have used DOS you will find it fun to enter commands again. Plus, there's so much free open source software out there and no viruses to worry about either :D

Try it out - it's free, not bloated, requires a lot less resources and is very stable.