Hydrogen Cars, Why Not Just Make Electric

Fireonice

Hydrogen can be obtained from water, yeah? So you're left with pure oxygen which can then be sold... This is better than conventional methods of obtaining pure oxygen. More money for the company thats all they want

Producing hydrogen via electrolysis is REALLY impractical... unfortunately :(. It's slow, requires quite a bit of power (fossil fuel?), and need a lot of non-corrosive metal as electrodes (platinum).

And water production from an H engine can probably be filtered into a liquid easily... just stick something cold where the CC would be and have it collected. Then someone can have water in there car to drink or empty it...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK we haven't broken even on energy input versus output yet either (IE: we throw more power at it to keep it going than it can produce).

Yea, that's another reason i thought it strange to be an option for cars. It is perfect for large scale electricity production though

Hydrogen can be obtained from water, yeah? So you're left with pure oxygen which can then be sold... This is better than conventional methods of obtaining pure oxygen. More money for the company thats all they want

The reason it emits water vapor is because the hydrogen combines with the oxygen in the air...if you were to then extract the oxygen, you'd be left with hydrogen, and then what do you do with that?

Producing hydrogen via electrolysis is REALLY impractical... unfortunately :( . It's slow, requires quite a bit of power (fossil fuel?), and need a lot of non-corrosive metal as electrodes (platinum).

And water production from an H engine can probably be filtered into a liquid easily... just stick something cold where the CC would be and have it collected. Then someone can have water in there car to drink or empty it...

Use solar panels to generate the elctricity or wind or water

The reason it emits water vapor is because the hydrogen combines with the oxygen in the air...if you were to then extract the oxygen, you'd be left with hydrogen, and then what do you do with that?

I meant if you take water, sea water, extract the salt you've got pure water, no?

With the water you take out the Oxygen and you have Hydrogen, sell the oxygen and use the hydrogen as fuel (This is what fuel companies could do)

I meant if you take water, sea water, extract the salt you've got pure water, no?

With the water you take out the Oxygen and you have Hydrogen, sell the oxygen and use the hydrogen as fuel (This is what fuel companies could do)

So you want to hook up your car with a hose to the sea? :huh: :huh:

It's not that easy. It's not like solar and wind power are just that simple. If they were, don't you think we'd be using a lot more of them already? Solar still requires batteries because the sun goes away at night. Also, both are still subject to location issues. Solar may work well in Arizona and wind may work well in the flat mid-west, but there are plenty of areas where these solutions are not nearly as viable.

You seem to be greatly simplifying this stuff. I know we're not all astro-physicists, but you have to know that it's a bit more complicated than just pulling Hydrogen and Oxygen apart. You make it sound like there's a guy in some lab pulling H and O atoms apart with tweezers and dropping them in jars to go on trucks and be sold in stores.

The problem with the Hydrogen is that it currently takes so much energy to separate the water molecule bonds that the whole process becomes quite expensive and inefficient.

Hydrogen run cars mix in hydrogen with oxygen to produce water... but at the same time its charging an electric type motor, which in turn spins your axels. You will get a water vapor coming out of the exhaust... water vapor does not freeze INSTANTLY, to the point where in a traffic jam... you would make all the roads slippery.. it wont come out as liquid water.. as it will most likely be burned up producing a nice evaporation effect...

You still need a way to make hydrogen in the first place... so you still need power plants... but if there is a way to split hydrogen from water, without having to use a gasoline/coal/nuclear source... then there would be a 100% solution to our killing of the environment

The only bad thing about this source of power, is that you will be creating ALOT more rain clouds, thus possible floods in certain areas... also, I doubt they would be using much metallic parts, since any chemicals mixed into the vapor, could produce acid rain clouds... bye bye to plants and your paint job.

Also, you need to use fresh water that is clean... so that will cause us to have a shortage, which we already have a shortage by the way. Though I dont know if the rain will be 100% clean... if it is, then ya everything is good, since the lakes will just replenish themselves, so no shortage.

Though the pros defeat the cons, rather be creating more rain instead of killing all life and having to bow down to people in Dubai laughing it up...

HYDROGEN CARS ARE THE SAFEST AND BEST WAY TO THE FUTURE!

** note** Hydrogen plants will be built, like they have in Tokyo, Japan.

Edited by jungleterror

I'm hoping for Biodiesel to be picked up more first... we're arguing about two technologies here that are still in their infancy, it's all a bit pointless, the gap needs to be bridged in the short term, and biodiesel only produces 22% of the carbon dioxide of regular gasoline and 50% of the carbon monoxide. That is of course, if gas companies stop selling the really stupid weak blends.

I'm hoping for Biodiesel to be picked up more first... we're arguing about two technologies here that are still in their infancy, it's all a bit pointless, the gap needs to be bridged in the short term, and biodiesel only produces 22% of the carbon dioxide of regular gasoline and 50% of the carbon monoxide. That is of course, if gas companies stop selling the really stupid weak blends.

Biodiesel is simply not a viable option. Crop prices have rocketed in recent times with the biodiesel fad - our planet can't sustain it. We get one harvest a year and if we have fuel instead of food ... well ... that's a disaster waiting to happen. Agricultural space for crops is in short supply as is ...

Biodiesel is simply not a viable option. Crop prices have rocketed in recent times with the biodiesel fad - our planet can't sustain it. We get one harvest a year and if we have fuel instead of food ... well ... that's a disaster waiting to happen. Agricultural space for crops is in short supply as is ...

Well it could work if it was managed properly... however that's never going to happen, so I suppose you be right...

Well it could work if it was managed properly... however that's never going to happen, so I suppose you be right...

Greed is the problem mostly. And if we tried to meet the demand for bio fuel, just about every food product would suffer as a result of wheat/barley etc shortages!

Biodiesel may BURN cleaner than regular diesel but at this point in time we are NOT currently producing it in an efficient manner (forget about there not being viable source material for now).

It takes more "energy" (not BTU wise but the actual amounts of the varying product used) to create the biodiesel than it is actually producing.