Bioshock SecuROM Redux...

Psydotek

So i finally picked up Bioshock. It's currently sitting on my bed in full unopened packaging. However i'm still having doubts about the whole SecuROM potential rootkit issue (there's even some people that have stated SecuROM disables all their CD burning software/hardware). I've recently reread all the the articles saying it's not one, the 2kGames forums regarding the DRM software, Steam forums, sysinternals forums, etc. and i still can't convince myself to open the box. :lol::(

I made the mistake of downloading the demo on Steam and enjoying it immensely... :D I also went through the uninstall and fairly thorough "deleting SecuROM" procedure (it's findable on the Steam Forums and involves null registry entries using the regdelnull utility to completely remove the SecuROM registry entries).

Anyhoo, should i just get over this whole issue and jump into Bioshock and not worry about the limited number of validations (5 right now) or take the game back and play it safe? Is it worth it to play through the game once and deal with the SecuROM issues (even if temporarily at least)?

I suppose i have enough hard drive space to leave it installed for the life of the computer... But that means leaving SecuROM on too. Ugh...

[and yes, i'm paranoid so :P]

just install it and find a no-cd. i mean its legal enough since you own it. i hate those SecuRom, it broke my cd burner during the days of C&C RA:2. i would return it and pick it up on steam, no cd, no DRM so much better.

Get over it and play the game. It's a lot of fun. Be sure to apply the newest patch which allows you to switch off Vita-Chambers (and do so). With the Vita-Chambers, it's way too short and easy (as Bleeble said). But without them, it's a real challenge. And either way, the story is very good. It's worth it.

Also, it's not a root-kit. It's been argued to death and the "it's not a root-kit" side always has explanations and backing evidence while the "it's a root-kit" side just sounds like a bunch of whiners.

I've always installed SecuROM when a game needs it... no problems for me at all, and I can't see why you'd have a problem with it if you have a real, legal game... you might have to disable or upgrade Daemon Tools if you use that for drive imaging, but that's it...

stop whining, start playing :P

Get over it and play the game. It's a lot of fun. Be sure to apply the newest patch which allows you to switch off Vita-Chambers (and do so). With the Vita-Chambers, it's way too short and easy (as Bleeble said). But without them, it's a real challenge. And either way, the story is very good. It's worth it.

Also, it's not a root-kit. It's been argued to death and the "it's not a root-kit" side always has explanations and backing evidence while the "it's a root-kit" side just sounds like a bunch of whiners.

Or just reload if you die. Don't need the Vita-Chambers offically "turned off" to bypass them ;)

Way to easy i dont know what setting you guys were playing on but the I went through the whole game on the hardest setting on my 360 and it took the better part of two weeks also I went for the good ending (not killing any little sisters) right now im working on the bad ending.

Way to easy i dont know what setting you guys were playing on but the I went through the whole game on the hardest setting on my 360 and it took the better part of two weeks also I went for the good ending (not killing any little sisters) right now im working on the bad ending.

I'm playing on the hardest (with the good path as well), but I haven't finished it. I started like a month ago...but it didn't keep my attention over TF2.

Alright, fine... :lol:

I'll get to it once i peel myself away from Simcity 4. :D

SC4 is awesome too :)

Once you realize that there's no consequences for dying, the Big Daddies might as well be teddy bears (stolen from No Punctuation's review of the game, which is AWESOME and should definitely be viewed). That's why so many people complained about the Vita-Chambers, and also why the patch now allows them to be turned off.

Once you realize that there's no consequences for dying, the Big Daddies might as well be teddy bears (stolen from No Punctuation's review of the game, which is AWESOME and should definitely be viewed). That's why so many people complained about the Vita-Chambers, and also why the patch now allows them to be turned off.
But again, it's just because the majority of people are too stupid to ignore them. How hard is it to just reload your last saved game rather than respawn in a Vita-Chamber? It's not. The problem is, as in most games, whenever there's some "easy way" to help noobs, people seem inclined to do it, regardless of their skill level...and then subsequently complain about a game being too easy.