TEC question

philbrown23

ok so I got my tec in today that I'm going to use with my w/c kit that I bought from petras. now my question is how do you know what side it the hot side and what one is the cold side? I still need to get my die electric grease and my hotplate in so I'm not installing it yet but I just thought that was a good question. I'm thinking I should hook up the molex connector then pluyg it in to find out but wont it get really hot?? it's a 100 watt TEC so it's not one of those teeny 40 watt ones that don't get to hot/cold it can reach -36c to 100c on the hot side

ok so I got my tec in today that I'm going to use with my w/c kit that I bought from petras. now my question is how do you know what side it the hot side and what one is the cold side? I still need to get my die electric grease and my hotplate in so I'm not installing it yet but I just thought that was a good question. I'm thinking I should hook up the molex connector then pluyg it in to find out but wont it get really hot?? it's a 100 watt TEC so it's not one of those teeny 40 watt ones that don't get to hot/cold it can reach -36c to 100c on the hot side

Phil the way I done it when I had one was just touch the wires to my meanwell and felt which side got hot and which cold, just touch it don't hook it up. I hope you have the conformal coating along with the dielectric grease and plenty of insulation, not to mention a dedicated PSU like a meanwell. Here is a picture of my experience with TC cooling after about 6 or 8 months or how ever long I ran the thing. Good Luck Phil...

peltaf1.jpgpelt3dy2.jpg

pelt1wi4.jpgpelt2dz4.jpg

Phil the way I done it when I had one was just touch the wires to my meanwell and felt which side got hot and which cold, just touch it don't hook it up. I hope you have the conformal coating along with the dielectric grease and plenty of insulation, not to mention a dedicated PSU like a meanwell. Here is a picture of my experience with TC cooling after about 6 or 8 months or how ever long I ran the thing. Good Luck Phil...

pelt3dy2.jpgpelt3dy2.jpg

pelt1wi4.jpgpelt2dz4.jpg

holy frickin crap!!!!! maybe I wont hook it up at all! it only cost me $11 so it's no biggie if I dont but jeez thats nuts!!!!

holy frickin crap!!!!! maybe I wont hook it up at all! it only cost me $11 so it's no biggie if I dont but jeez thats nuts!!!!

Tec cooling is not for the faint of heart. Back when I was benchmarking a lot I was going to WC+TEC cool my 9800pro and go for the first place orb spot for 9800pro class but decided against it because of the risk to not only the card but my system. I was already pushing well over recommended volts and the extra cooling would have helped a lot I bet.

If watercooling w/ chilled water or a cascade setup is not enough, most people just jump to phase change.

100W *IS* puny... it's pathetic... 226W might cool an overclocked C2D... 100W might cool a TI-83 calculator... the wattage rating isn't the thermal dissipation capacity (the amount of heat load it can handle), it is the amount of power it REQUIRES... the amount of heat it can dissipate is LESS than it's wattage rating because it is FAR from being 100% efficient... hence TI-83 calculator...

you obviously are on the road to disaster if you didn't know this basic fact, and that you can find out which side is hot and which is cold by plugging it in for 1 second

the 100 watts wa a mistake it is 170 watts but either way I'm just gonna install my wc setup and not the tec I checked out your review and after rr's pis I'm all set. like I said the tec only cost 11 bucks so it's not like I broke the bank buying it.

If watercooling w/ chilled water or a cascade setup is not enough, most people just jump to phase change.

ummm puck cascades are higher up the food chain than a single stage. In fact a cascade is phase change. :P ...Think of a cascade as being single stage phase change on steroids. lol

And on top of those is DICE and LN2. Well actually a 3 stage or even dual stage cascade can keep up with or even surpass DICE.

Also, nrg is right. That E6850 @ 4Ghz+ will eat a 170w TEC for breakfast. Hell you would need at least a low tuned single stage to even keep that thing in the negative C's at over 200W load.

ummm puck cascades are higher up the food chain than a single stage. In fact a cascade is phase change. :P ...Think of a cascade as being single stage phase change on steroids. lol

And on top of those is DICE and LN2. Well actually a 3 stage or even dual stage cascade can keep up with or even surpass DICE.

Also, nrg is right. That E6850 @ 4Ghz+ will eat a 170w TEC for breakfast. Hell you would need at least a low tuned single stage to even keep that thing in the negative C's at over 200W load.

My fingers were typing faster then my mind was thinking. I was referring to those vertical waterfall water chillers - not a multistage phase setup - and have no clue why I called it a cascade. Maybe I somehow mixed it up with the old cascade waterblock since I was talking about WC? :blink: .

I agree that a 170wat TEC would be way too underpowered for his chip, and cooling the TECs output+the chips would be a problem. May be good for a graphics card, but will msot likely be too large physically - last I checked(maybe 3 years ago :lol:) there was no readily available 170w 40x40 pelt, and the highest I could find was like 138 or something wierd.

I've always wanted to do a bong cooler...

That is what i was referring to - I thought of developing one into a custom made 4x 5-1/4in bay res with a front mounted fan and a small showerhead type thing up top, so that the water is broken into droplettes or streams and cooled by the fan as it falls into the always half full res. The downfall that turned me away from the idea is that evaporation would happen WAY too fast, since the fan would be an opening in the loop.

A full sized waterfall system can get much closer to ambient then a regular sealed watercooling setup by breaking the water down into droplets or spray then cooling it actively, but I didnt want a 5 foot tall PVC bong contraption next to my computer :(