Dual SMP Folding Linux/Q6600 @ 3920Mhz

road-runner

I got it setup with dual SMP Folding. Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn @ 3920Mhz, less than 10 minutes a frame. According to Fahmon I am going to get 5247 PPD on the Quad core. With the Windows SMP client I was getting 3500 PPD. This is the way to go guys if you have a Quad core and Fold.... :foldon:

Project : 2653

Core : SMP Gromacs

Frames : 100

Credit : 1760

-- Q6600#1 --

Min. Time / Frame : 9mn 39s - 2626.32 ppd

Avg. Time / Frame : 9mn 41s - 2617.28 ppd

Cur. Time / Frame : 9mn 39s - 2626.32 ppd

R3F. Time / Frame : 9mn 39s - 2626.32 ppd

Eff. Time / Frame : 2h 18mn 20s - 183.21 ppd

-- Q6600#2 --

Min. Time / Frame : 9mn 37s - 2635.42 ppd

Avg. Time / Frame : 9mn 37s - 2635.42 ppd

Cur. Time / Frame : 9mn 37s - 2635.42 ppd

R3F. Time / Frame : 9mn 37s - 2635.42 ppd

Eff. Time / Frame : 2h 18mn 00s - 183.65 ppd

No, what I thought that the Linux SMP client was designed for 4+ cores already (not in Vmware)?

Or does running two instances on two cores seperately result in a better PPD than running one instance using all four cores?

No, what I thought that the Linux SMP client was designed for 4+ cores already (not in Vmware)?

Or does running two instances on two cores seperately result in a better PPD than running one instance using all four cores?

No VMWare. I am sure there are 8 folding cores running as I have not set any kind of affinity's and do not know how on Linux either.

I don't see the purpose when it is made for quad core chips.

The purpose is about 1500 more PPD over Windows SMP...

According to their site last I checked, the client is designed for 4 cores. However, from what I heard, the smp client does not quite use 100% so maybe having 2 instances will allow one to glean a few more ppd.

heres stuff from stanfords faq that may seem somewhat relevant or just interesting.

What about hyperthreaded (HT) CPUs?

The SMP client was originally intended for multi-core CPUs, which generally do not support HT. For machines with 2 physical CPUs, we do recommend enabling HT for the SMP client as this presents the operating system with what looks like 4 logical processors (and our SMP client is intended for 4 processors). If you have 4 physical CPUs, we recommend against using HT, as this presents the operating system with 8 logical processors, which will make the SMP client run inefficiently (especially since the logical processors coming from HT run much slower than the normal ones).

How well does MPI work?

The short answer is pretty well on Linux and OSX and not so well on Windows. MPI was originally delveloped on UNIX, so this is not a surprise (and it's a great feat in many ways for it to even run on Windows). The Windows specific quirks we're seeing are due to MPI-Windows interaction, and we're trying to hunt them down, as well as try out other MPI possibilities.

Why lock to four processes?

Gromacs in all released versions currently breaks up code to set up calculations and those to run them and the number of SMP processors is decided at setup (Grompp) not running (mdrun). MDRUN is the code running in the FAH core, so it has to have a fixed number of SMP processes. We are investigating possible options to change this.

My current PPD for two VMs (TWO instances of Ubuntu 7.10 inside VMWare, with ONE commandline smp client running in each VM) is 3835

CPU: 8x450=3600

RAM: 450, 4-3-3-10-2T

I have to resolve some performance issues in general on this rig... my SPi times suck... but 3835 is more than I used to get in a week not so long ago lol (well, like 2 years ago, but meh)