screws!

lost

I've always considered this to be one of the most basic concepts in computer assembly. Knowing the names of the screws is a bonus, but most people can just tell by the thread. Fine, coarse, and very coarse. Small, bigger, biggest. Optical, HDD, fan.

Like everyone's saying, it's a conditioned learning thing. If you're amazed that people can retain this sort of basic knowledge, that's kind of scary.

I guess I could understand not picking this up... if you commonly build your PCs blindfolded. :rolleyes:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! All this over screws, I usually eyeball the size and then gently see if the screw will thread properly into the female thread, if it binds, I just look for another screw that looks to be the apropriate size. C'mon guys, they're only God damned screws!

If one screw doesn't work, try another, and so on. If you can't find one that works, use the persuasion technique of your choice. I'll give you a hint as to mine. Back when I worked plumbing we had a saying, "if it doesn't work, you need a bigger hammer." :D

If one screw doesn't work, try another, and so on. If you can't find one that works, use the persuasion technique of your choice. I'll give you a hint as to mine. Back when I worked plumbing we had a saying, "if it doesn't work, you need a bigger hammer." :D

My method exactly. Screw wasting my precious brain space for something so trivial. Fly by the seat of your pants!

WOW! All this over screws, I usually eyeball the size and then gently see if the screw will thread properly into the female thread, if it binds, I just look for another screw that looks to be the apropriate size. C'mon guys, they're only God damned screws!

:withstupid:

Does no one here have a tool-less case? You poor souls ;) Like everyone else has said, just try some screws and see if they work.

yeah, they're called remove tool less options and install hardware in order to make them work right. I for one HATE those screw free brackets for expansion cards... never met one I liked. but if you like em... that be up to you. drives... depends on how they do it... motherboard installs without screws... something stinks of dell.

yeah, they're called remove tool less options and install hardware in order to make them work right. I for one HATE those screw free brackets for expansion cards... never met one I liked. but if you like em... that be up to you. drives... depends on how they do it... motherboard installs without screws... something stinks of dell.

:withstupid:

My last 3 or 4 cases have been "tool-less". Doesn't mean I don't use tools. First thing I do is rip that stupid card holder crap off and use real screws. Those things never even come close to holding cards properly.

I look at tool-less cases a lot like that new Lexus that parallel parks itself. This is a skill human beings need to retain, not automate. :)