MS Office Pro XP vs 2007

lost

is it enough for me to buy 2007? i've been happy using XP to date, but was wondering if the 2007 offered anything more to offer. some screen shots i found of office 2007 just shows it to be a little more graphic oriented. i dont know if i want that in a word processor. so 2 main things

1) does 2007 take up more of the system resource to run compared to XP?

2) is 2007 worth it? i've been perfectly happy with XP so far

1. Office 2007 takes a little bit more recourses then 2003 probably because of all the graphical features but its not really a big difference you would notice.

2. Is 2007 worth it? I got office 2007 5 months ago and so far have not had any problems with it. It just takes some getting use to learn about the new features and were some of the options were moved to in the ribbon bar. Personally I would stay with office 2003 if your happy with it. Office 2007 does not offer much over 2003. But if you were like building a new system id go with 2007.

is it enough for me to buy 2007? i've been happy using XP to date, but was wondering if the 2007 offered anything more to offer. some screen shots i found of office 2007 just shows it to be a little more graphic oriented. i dont know if i want that in a word processor. so 2 main things

1. Has there ever been an iteration of a Microsoft product that's less bloated than its predecessor? ...You have your answer. :rolleyes:

2. If you're getting it for free, then yes. Otherwise no. If you're perfectly happy with XP, why would you want to deal with having to figure out where they moved all the stuff you need to use? It's just aggravating when software companies take something intelligent and logical and muck it up in the new version of their software just so they can say "Look! It's different!" Besides, why are you even looking to upgrade? It's a dang word processor! If you upgrade to anything, it should be OpenOffice. :P:lol:

Has there ever been an iteration of a Microsoft product that's less bloated than its predecessor? ...You have your answer. :rolleyes:
Besides, why are you even looking to upgrade? It's a dang word processor!
If you upgrade to anything, it should be OpenOffice. :P:lol:

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:

All three of these statements are spot-on! :)

I got it free from my uncle who got it free from his buddy at work (I know a guy, who knows a guy who knows the guy :huh: ). Office 07 does add some little stuff other than just the new interface. What I don't like is you have to do more clicking to get to where you want to go.

I messed around with excel on it and it makes Tables pretty darn good. It seemed simple to setup. Same with the charts. Everything was pretty much customizable from color to style. The preview of a format change is kinda cool. So just check out this demo and if you like it buy it. I got it for free otherwise I would still be using Office 2003 without any problems.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Well I've been using it for ages. It's okay, but I detest the fact that it saves docs in a new format. You have to save specifically as something else for backward compatibility.

OpenOffice is a good idea, but it is really nowhere near as "friendly" as MS I have to admit. I couldn't stomach OO at all.

Yea with MS Office 07 you better make sure you set your save default as Office 97-2003 instead of the new 07 formats. I learned the hard way when I tried to turn in a project and all of sudden I couldn't open my document on the school 's computer.

All the file formats for 07 have a "X" at the end. (Ex. .Doc > .Docx or .Xls > .Xlsx)

Note* That saving files in Office 97-2003 format, it will remove all of '07 special formatting options that you used. So those pretty charts are all gone from Excel. Ended up just print screening and pasting them in as pictures.

open office is great. Beware of the spell checker though, it seemed a little too forgiving last I remember. also, This has probably been fixed, but I remember 4 years ago opening a 200 power point slide show in open office on a win2k machine with 512MB ram. Normally I had about 200-300MB free at any given time. Open office devoured the rest of it and warnings were popping up about low virtual memory or something like that. It was entertaining to watch. Other than that, loved it.

Well I've been using it for ages. It's okay, but I detest the fact that it saves docs in a new format. You have to save specifically as something else for backward compatibility.

OpenOffice is a good idea, but it is really nowhere near as "friendly" as MS I have to admit. I couldn't stomach OO at all.

I agree with you here. Before I switched, I had been using MS Office forever and I was used to the way things are set up there. Moving to OO was, at first, quite frustrating. But a little bit of searching in the help file and I found what I needed. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Although, to be honest, there are some things I wish OO did like MS Office.

But any issues I have are overshadowed by the fact that I'm cheap (a.k.a. broke) and OO is free. :D