Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FAHmon is reporting my ubuntu instance as not active. But it's successfully monitoring the % complete. And the client is clearly active is as its making progress on the WU.

any ideas?

and hardnrg... did you ever get a point value for that 3027 WU you had? i tried looking it up on stanford & nothin came up :(

post-8548-1169835581_thumb.jpg

Edited by sdy284

FahMon and EMIII both only have partial support because Stanford haven't made the necessary info available afaik...

sometimes FahMon shows my SMP as amber, but it always shows the correct %age complete, so i don't care... at least it shows some form of progress, unlike EMIII

hmm Nemo, seeing as they are folding only and it's only a VMware limitation, maybe you could just install ubuntu-64-desktop as the os instead of FC?

the installation and setting up samba share was so so easy, i'm sure you could do the four rigs within the hour :)

I'm thinking on it. I actually do use this machine for some other light work, Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. so I may try a dual boot and let Linux run most of the time when I'm not using it.

FahMon and EMIII both only have partial support because Stanford haven't made the necessary info available afaik...

sometimes FahMon shows my SMP as amber, but it always shows the correct %age complete, so i don't care... at least it shows some form of progress, unlike EMIII

:bah: i suppose you're right, something is better than nothing.

no i can just focus on swearing @ my core duo t2400 laptop for not being 64bit :glare:

edit: i finally found the WU on stanford... it's worth 716 points! :D:foldon:

Edited by sdy284

gonna set it up now, then get it cranking later. I have about 30 and 29 frames to go on both instances, that will go fast enough ;)

Just so you know, running VMware only uses about 80-85% of your CPU. You can use the leftover to still run your GPU client with. Hooray for PPD bumps!!! I am also toying with the idea of using my spare IDE drive as a guinnea pig. I'd like to install Ubuntu as the main OS and virtualize WinXP. That may give me an even bigger increase! :foldon:

Not during the actual installation, but there will be up dates to download afterwards. Also, I've read (elsewhere) that the SMP WU assignment servers are currently down. So if you finish your current WU, you'll sit idle until they come back online. You could, however, fire up the Winders client again. Anyway. . . :foldon:

What do you guys think the likelihood of the SMP client being released for native use under windows is? I'm asking because VMware and ubutu are refusing to DL. :( So I can't do this according to the guide.

I have linux 64 installed on another partition (I lost the install cd) so I'll boot in to the other os to try this out when my current WU finishes.

that should work, which Linux version do you have on there?

SMP time tomorrow morning (more like lunchtime when I wake up :lol:), 93 and 92% done WUs will get done tonight and then lets see some monster PPDs! Top 20 here I come forever!