Sunset from two years ago edit: Now, random post your images thread :P

anthony

Those pics are unbelievable for a digital camera. @ Silverfox what do you think of the EOS 400D? I have to get a new camera.

No idea as I have never used one, but I can only imagine it will be the same and better - not necessarily in CCD/CMOS quality, but in battery life and advanced features etc. Avoid the 300D though - the 350D improved on it quite a lot.

350D and 400D are both good, there are differences such as AF point, Mp count, and I believe the 400D has spot metering which the 350D does not. Just get the 350D and use the difference in price for a nice lense :)

350D and 400D are both good, there are differences such as AF point, Mp count, and I believe the 400D has spot metering which the 350D does not. Just get the 350D and use the difference in price for a nice lense :)

What lense would be a good one? I have never owned a SLR or any cameras as far as that goes that was not point and shoot.I am ready to try one I guess

Edited by road-runner

What lense would be a good one? I have never owned a SLR or any cameras as far as that goes that was not point and shoot.I am ready to try one I guess

First off: get hold of any SLR and get used to the way it feels and works, or getting a D-SLR will be a nightmare! I played with 35mm (Minolta 7000 AF) before moving to the 350D and it is the source of my mountain of debt :lol:

Any I am REALLY sorry for hijacking this thread :( I didn't see any instructions, other than "post post post!" so I did :D

If you are willing to work hard and fast, the stock lens, well, you can see what it CAN do. I would go with a reasonable zoom lens to get to grips with things. But one step at a time :)

I guess start off with the 18-55 EFS, get it used, it can go for around 60 USD, check www.photography-on-the.net , its the unofficial canon forum :).

Its a fairly wide range lense, so after you get used to it ask yourself, do you like the wideness or do you like the zoom? From there you can decide where to head. Another cheapie is the 50mm F1.8 MKII, this also goes for dirt cheap.

If you find your are really enjoying photography, you may want to look into some L glass... the red rings :) These usally go into the thousands, but there are cheaper ones. A common one is the 17-40L, downfall is its F4 and the range sucks :P. For general purpose glass there is the 24-105 F4 L IS and the 24-70L F2.8, these two are extremly popular among both enthousiasts and pros, of course they are expensive, but both excellent pieces of glass to consider for the future!

edit: Silverfox got lucky with his 18-55 :P Actually I have seen quite a few excellent versions of this lense, and Silverfox's is definiatly one of the better ones but for the most part, they aren't the greatest.

Oh here's what the aforementioned 35mm Minolta can do (this is a negative scanned image and the original is about 30meg!)

billiedv3.jpg

as for the EF-S 18-55mm, I think it is all down to patience! I have millions of crappy shots, but I persevere and get the good ones in the end. I think too many people get a D-SLR and expect to get amazing shots right away - I did and I was a fool! It took a lot of practice but it was worth it. I'm just a bit rusty from not playing with my camera since ages back (probably when I went to Copenhagen and Malmo)