I've never hear of DFI

DFI makes some great enthusiast board and you cant find better for NF4 skt939.

So far from DFI Ive owned:

DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra-b

DFI Lanparty Nf3 250gb

2x DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

DFI RDX200 CF-DR

DFI Infinity NF4

And for others Ive built:

DFI Lanparty SLI-DR

2x DFI Infinity NF4

And Ill be building another DFI based rig for a friend very shortly

All of the boards still in my possession run like the day they were bought and they all overclocked like dreams (even the infinity's threw out some decent clocks).

Edited by caffeinejunkie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps. i LOVE my ultra-d... it has oc'd 5 cpu's amazingly... i could kiss it :D

be sure to turn her off before you do that :lol:

/off topic

DFI make great boards, I have the SLI-DR Expert before I got this Conroe and it ROCKED! The Asus (A8R32-MVP) gotdamojo linked to is pretty good as well, however don't get the A8R-MVP if you want to overclock.

to sum it up, yes they are awesome in their 939 line BUT

ATI/Crossfire

Asus A8R32-MVP

nVidia

DFI Ultra/SLI

depends on what video card your looking at/your budget

Edited by The Unforgivin

Just to throw in my 2 cents, DFI boards are great. I absolutely love my SLI-DR, and I think it really could be the best clocking 939 board out there (a shared title with the Ultra-D, which is effectively the same board). The only problem I see is price. It's an INCREDIBLY solid board, but for the price I wouldn't recommend it if you're not looking for serious overclocking. I would look at a DFI Infinity board instead. Those are very cheap and still rock solid. They're not as pretty to look at, and they're missing a few of the BIOS options of the LanParty series, but they're perfect for a performance board on a budget. I've built a few of them now, and I've been very impressed.

Also, just to clear up some misconceptions. I have not had trouble setting up any of the DFI 939 boards I've worked with so far. My SLI-DR booted and started installing Windows without ANY work in the BIOS. The Infinity boards I've dealt with were the same. Don't let the hype fool you. Someone who said they're hard to set up probably never had one. People hear about all the BIOS options and assume they're going to be hard to set up, and that's how rumors start. In reality, if you don't mess with settings that you don't understand, you should never have a problem.

And on the topic of DFI's hardware "pickiness", it's true to an extent. DFI's higher end boards don't tolerate crappy RAM. That's a well established fact. But beyond that, I wouldn't say they have trouble with any other hardware components.

I wouldn't put the Infinity as any less of an overclocker than it's lan party brothers. they're just as capable in that department. most times the big difference is the colors and added accesories with them.

the DFI general series motherboards lack the fine tuning capabilities for overclocking to the extremes... however they're the type of boards that will try to use a frenchfry as a PCI card if you ask them to. they're dirt cheap, last forever, and just smile at abuse :) I sell them in my stores as "budget" boards in lieu of ECS / PC Chips and Asrock... there is NO comparing them in quality. they have the lowest return rate due to non user induced errors (number of boards sold vs returned defective).

I also love how you'll see horror stores on the web about the DFI lan party boards... this is because they're way to often sold to the WRONG type of customers. their bright colors and pretty box attract morons like moths to an open flame (with the same result... something is going to catch fire). in the hands of a patient beginner there is NO better all around board. they can take such a beating and offer so many more features that aren't possible on other boards. I also sell the lan party boards, however they used to have a high return rate until I better educated my staff on which customers should be talked OUT of it... the impatient beginers. the return rate has fallen dramatically since then.

wow more and more i hear about it... more and more i want one... but heres the thing AM2 and 939...i want a lanparty and there all 939... but isnt AM2 the newest socket...?

Edited by snakieee

Lets see .

I have the Infinity NF2

2 Lanparty nf4 ultra-d's

1 Lanparty ICFX3200

They are pretty decent.

I have gotten the highest clocks out of my processors on DFI boards, Just as a comparison I have used both the Asus A8R32-MVP And NF4 Ultra-d and the max stable speed i could get on the Asus with my 3800x2was 2770mhz. With the NF4 Ultra-D It was 2880mhz. Not a lot but mostly bragging rights. Buy the DFI and do some reading and you will get the most out of your system.

wow more and more i hear about it... more and more i want one... but heres the thing AM2 and 939...i want a lanparty and there all 939... but isnt AM2 the newest socket...?

Yes but in reality there is almost no performance gain from 939 to AM2. I think of AM2 right now as AMDs baby step into the ddr2 game and nothing more.

939 has several advantages over AM2 from what I've experienced

cheaper motherboards

cheaper CPU's

cheaper RAM

better overclocking CPU's

better overclocking RAM

better overall motherboards (selection, features, and overclocking)

and even at stock speeds a 3800+ X2 939 is just a touch faster than a 3800+ X2 AM2.

with that said why pay more for less?