93-94 Camaro

CmpFreak88

A car that just stops running is not very good. Although I admit that my knowledge of cars is somewhat limited, I would guess that it could be so much more than just a bad fuel pump, and you may end up replacing multiple things.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 93 with 60k miles wouldn't be a bad car...I would gladly pay a bit more for that over the 94 (depending on body condition and mechanical issues) 130k miles is a ton, especially on a car with a lot of power that is constantly being begged to be ran hard.

For a first car though, I would reccomend something newer with even less money for about the same price. I bought a v6 Mustang 2 years ago with 42k miles for around $5,500 total. The car hasn't given me a bit of trouble and still runs like (I would image) it did the day the original owner drove it off the lot.

Yeah, well the only thing I'm wondering is that if it's only the fuel pump like the guys says, why didn't he just replace it himself. Unfortunately the Camaro with only 68k was sold so I'm hoping this guys just wants to get rid of this car and I'm getting a good deal. I'm going to be going to look at it on Christmas Eve, so we'll see how it goes.

after reading about the cars you're looking at... I have to go back to my original statement of having a qualified 3rd party mechanic go over the car. even if it's an out of pocket expense for you and he tells you not to buy it... that's a small price to pay for the piece of mind knowing you bought a reliable / quality car.

take for example the fuel pump. that is a HUGE issue on some vehicles. now I don't know if a camero is as bad as a bronco / ford f series of that era... but I can tell you what a pain that one is. you have to remove the gas tank (bolts are usually rusted in place so bad that they have to be cut. gas tank is usually wrecked taking it off, then you have to get the pump, sending unit and on some vehicles of that age the float which ties back to the gas gauge. and if you can't do it yourself the labor costs add up in ways you can't imagine.

Yeah, well the only thing I'm wondering is that if it's only the fuel pump like the guys says, why didn't he just replace it himself.
One possible reason he didn't replace it himself is that the fuel pump on these cars is a pain. It's in the tank, so you not only get to drop the tank to replace it, but you have to remove the rear exhaust and the axle to even get to the tank. Not a quick job and very labor intensive.

Yikes... that sounds like a real PITA... My dad is a mechanic and he's been working on cars for a long time, so he'd never justify paying for any kind of mechanic to look at a car, haha. But that job does sound terrible and also knowing my dad... it would take a loooong time... So maybe I'll be looking at another car then. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

One possible reason he didn't replace it himself is that the fuel pump on these cars is a pain. It's in the tank, so you not only get to drop the tank to replace it, but you have to remove the rear exhaust and the axle to even get to the tank. Not a quick job and very labor intensive.

There is a spot in the trunk that you can lift the carpet and cut a whole right above the pump and change it quick :thumbs-up:

Downside is not many people want a whole in the trunk, lol XD

• 2 months later...

I dont know anything about camaro's but I can tell you the 325is and 318i's are fun cars to drive, their bad in the rain, but go with the 325, they're fun as heck. altho I mean power isnt like the lt1. and the 318i is just slow. MAKE sure u get a manual.

as far as reliability, their engines are strong and can last to 300k easily. BUT it's little electronic things that go bad, and suspension has to eventually be replaced in much older cars (rear shock mounts etc)

and yes the fixes can be pricey, but find a good local mechanic is usually just as good, they're pretty easy to work on

I dont know anything about camaro's but I can tell you the 325is and 318i's are fun cars to drive, their bad in the rain, but go with the 325, they're fun as heck. altho I mean power isnt like the lt1. and the 318i is just slow. MAKE sure u get a manual.

as far as reliability, their engines are strong and can last to 300k easily. BUT it's little electronic things that go bad, and suspension has to eventually be replaced in much older cars (rear shock mounts etc)

and yes the fixes can be pricey, but find a good local mechanic is usually just as good, they're pretty easy to work on

3 months old and totally off topic.... while I'm no camero fan, I'd have to say a vast majority of people looking at one WON'T be looking at a BMW (I'd rather have the chevy than a bmw)... especially not those things... just a totally different type of lines for a totally different crowd.