how To A Format A Hdd?

LivingGhost

I have a USB HDD that came as FAT32, and I want to format/reformat it to NTFS.

Some one told me to just right click > format, but I don't see that option?

I checked the properties of the drive, but nothing under tools or anywhere.

Help please?

Have you tried just converting it? I'm not sure if the convert utility works for USB drives, but its worth a try. go Start>Run>CMD.exe once in the cmd shell type "C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs" except C: will be the letter for your drive, say the USB drive is D replace those C:'s with D. Good luck. And remember, no quotes. :P

Edited by Ghost2520

When you right click under my computer format is a few options above Properties.

In all honesty though leaving it FAT32 is a better idea. If you try using the drive on an older system (like Win 98) it wont be able to read your NTFS drive.

EDIT:

No, I use XP and it's 250 gigs (well, 232 gigs actually, stupid marketing. :glare: ).

I didn't think to right click in My Computer, I thought it was IN the drive.

And the CMD.exe command the other person gave me didn't work.

And in Right Click > Format, what Allocation size (Default, etc.) and should I check "Quick Format" and/or "Enable Compression?"

Thanks, I am a noob, as you can see...

No, I use XP and it's 250 gigs (well, 232 gigs actually, stupid marketing. :glare: ).

I didn't think to right click in My Computer, I thought it was IN the drive.

And the CMD.exe command the other person gave me didn't work.

And in Right Click > Format, what Allocation size (Default, etc.) and should I check "Quick Format" and/or "Enable Compression?"

Thanks, I am a noob, as you can see...

Didn't work? Maybe it just doesn't work on USB drives... dunno. I've used it a few times though. Quick format is fine and you don't need compression with 250 gigs. :P

In all honesty though leaving it FAT32 is a better idea. If you try using the drive on an older system (like Win 98) it wont be able to read your NTFS drive.

EDIT:

People still have Windows 98? I havent seen anything but 2000 or XP in 2 years. . .

People still have Windows 98? I havent seen anything but 2000 or XP in 2 years. . .

Yeah a crapload of ppl still have 98. I don tuse it anymore, but I do have hardware that if i was so incluined to run, would use it. At the same time i know one or two ppl still using 95...but it's getting to be rare. for portable drives i still say keep it FAT32.

And I being one of those PPL that still use 2000/98/95 and my new found OS; NT. Seriously, I found this Disk in this attic where I am living. I am having loads of fun with it by creating all kinds of chaos within the OS. Then I'll try and repair it. Moral of the story is; Trial and error. Create an scenario, execute it, and see what happens. If it get's messed up and see if I can repair it. I know...sounds dumb and pointless but, I have no life and am a dork.