Should I Try/play Wow?

ClayMeow

Im playing Guild Wars now and am having a great time. Two things made me choose it over WoW.

16 bucks a month or whatever for a game is a lot of money when we just bought our first house and are working our asses off to furnish it

and

With Guild Wars I can play for 40 mins 3 nights a week if I want and my wife doesnt flip out. Its a lot of fun, but there are so many stopping points that I dont ever HAVE to be on for an hour+.

But you all sound like you play far more games then I do, so the bottom line is... what the heck do I know?

when you get to level 20 in GW.. it gets boring...fast... lack of content FTL

cant argue with the other reason... RL takes presidence over gaming

Edited by KaluMinati

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you get to level 20 in GW.. it gets boring...fast... lack of content FTL

cant argue with the other reason... RL takes presidence over gaming

I have 2 lvl 20 characters in GW. Im still having fun because I havent even played through the game yet. Its nice having a game with a story line again.

Also havent even touched PvP or GvG, so thats going to be fun too. I figure Ive been playing for 5 months, and only paid 35 bucks TOTAL for it, so Ive gotten my $$$ worth already, with a lot more to do!

WoW stole me from OCC's IRC channel O_o

Don't worry about it. You aren't missing much.

16 bucks a month or whatever for a game is a lot of money when we just bought our first house and are working our asses off to furnish it

Yes it is, and some of us pay for two accounts. :P

I am not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. I don't make what anyone would consider to be a "lot" of money. So don't get me wrong when I say this, but... If you can't afford $16 a month, then you can afford your computer. Seriously, if <$20 a month will make or break you, then you have better things to do with your time than game anyways. It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme. And what's worse is that you hear people say how stupid it is to spend that much on a game and they're almost always the same people that buy a new $50 game every three months. It works out the same, but the monthly thing just rubs people the wrong way and they start flying off the handle.

As far as WoW.... It's a good game. They've done exactly what this generation of MMO's should do. They've taken the best of all the older games (UI/Quests/Classes/Gameplay) and combined it. I really think they have made the best MMO out there. I've played a LOT in my day, too. Sure, you can pick another game and find something it does better than WoW, but on the whole, WoW offers the most, IMO. The voluntary PvP system is great if you ask me, and it's the perfect way to get involved in PvP without feeling like you're in a twitch-style game where you can never walk AFK for fear of getting ganked.

The problem with WoW is population. First of all, there's approximately 70 million servers now, and it always ends up that you've got 2 friends on this one, and 3 friends on that one, and another over there, and you can't play with them all. That really sucks, but there's nothing Blizzard can do about it. Also, they've got something like 5 million players now, and by simple well accepted percentages, that means they have about 4 million A-Holes. My suggestion, don't go to a PvP server. If you love PvP, then do an RP-PVP like others have suggested. If you want to be surrounded by 13 year old gank rogues named ShlimShady, then by all means go to a PvP server, but if you're looking for a server with more than 2% mature players, I'd stay away.

The RP servers are not forced RP, but they do have more strict guidelines and they do tend to have more mature players. I don't RP (I do sometimes if I'm around RPers, but rarely), but I perfer the RP servers because the people there are actually there to enjoy the game, and not to "pwn people", generally speaking.

And for god's sake.... DON'T PLAY ALLIANCE!!! :P

FOR THE HORDE!

I am not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. I don't make what anyone would consider to be a "lot" of money. So don't get me wrong when I say this, but... If you can't afford $16 a month, then you can afford your computer.

Verran, your not paying attention. I said 16 a month is too much when I personally have other priorities, like saving for things for my house. Kind of hard to debate that 16 a month for one piece of entertainment may be a turn off for some people me thinks.

I pretty much have an entertainment budget in my head, and 16 a month for 1 game ON TOP of the $50 or whatever to buy the $.50 CD-ROM and pretty box is what "rubs" me "the wrong way".

And what does that even mean? "cant afford" my computer? Its paid for. I pay for power and internet, and do a lot more with it than game. Are you drinking the wine or smoking the tweeds?

Seriously, if <$20 a month will make or break you, then you have better things to do with your time than game anyways.

And I DO have better things to do with my time than game, as I stated before, I spend 40 mins a night, 3 nights a week on GW and feel like I am more than getting my money's worth of entertainment for the game.

MMO's SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Lol j/p, i say NO, because if your a FPS person then you shouldnt, and getting to lvl 60 takes like 3-5 months, and if yous till want to, i can sell you a wow account with 2 lvl 30s :-)

heh, well I'm not what I'd label an "fps person." My gaming tendencies are pretty varied. I actually love mmorpg's, but have just stayed away because of the time and money. As I said, I used to play DAOC back when that first came out. I was, to say the least, addicted. I recently got involved with Silkroad Online.

In addition, I was an alpha tester for Guild Wars, but that was nothing like an MMO, though it did require a lot of time (but that was more for being a tester, rather than because of the nature of the game itself). I tend to migrate towards FPS probably because they provide quick reward. No, "camp until monster x appears" or "travel here" quests. Point, shoot, kill, rinse and repeat. :) I'm also a graphics fiend, and fps's are usually on the cutting edge of graphics. That's why I can't wait until Hellgate: London and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (especially the former).

WoW's PVP servers (where the fun is IMO) are a lot more like PVP in UO and Shadowbane... once you enter contested areas, you are pretty much far game. Anyone can attack anyone.... though you'd have to be an idiot with a death wish to attack me. :D

I dunno if you stopped DAOC before they implemented pvp servers? Those were insane. A lot of fun though. But yeah, as soon as you left town, you were fair game. Even a few towns, if I recall, you could attack in (I kind of remember hiding on a roof and attacking someone, lol).
As others have said, WoW is a very addictive game. Look at the XFire profiles for Paranoid, Celtica, or myself and you could see that. :P
haha, well yeah, don't I know it. I post on the xfire forums from time to time (as you've seen), and it's always funny looking at people's profiles. Those that focus on FPS's or RTS's have somewhere between 40 and 500 hours in their top game, whereas those with MMO's, especially WoW, top well into the 1000's. Hell, you guys put more hours into WoW in a week than I do in total for 90% of my games.

hmmm. it's tempting. you guys are making good arguments on both sides. lol. Maybe i'll ask my friend for the trial disk or hit up dangerousfigure to try it out. I'm making money now, unlike when I was in college playing DAOC, so there's that. lol. I need to get a job at PCGamer and just play games all day, with the occasional break to write a review...that'd be the life ;)

EDIT: sorry, had the reply window opened for awhile because work beckoned. As for playing GW. Like I said, I was an alpha tester for it, and IMO, they kept on changing things for the worse. There's various reasons I quit that, but that was one of them. I know they've changed things again since, and the expansion for that will be released soon and the picture on CGW of the Assassin is HOT! (lol), but still, I dunno...it'd be weird to come back to it. In alpha, I was known as one of, if not the best, healer in the game. Wonder if some people would remember me if I used the same name. awell.

Come on....just do it. ::holds a wow cd in front of clay:: Come to Maelstrom so I can kill...err....say hi :-).
make love, not war! :P

These servers are also illigal and violate the game's EULA/TOS... not to mention the rules of this forum.

lol. what's even the point? part of what makes an mmo and MMO is playing with 1000's of people. Not the 10-100 ppl you'd find on an "open" server.