Widescreen Gaming

Nadger

I've been using my new 24" CRT monitor for about a month now and I don't think I could ever go back to 19" 4:3. Whenever I use my friends computer his 19" feels like a 15-17" monitor. So im very pleased with it thus far. Especially only shelling out $450 for it. However, that said...

Im suprised about how many newer games dont fully support widescreen resolutions. Namely Battlefield 2 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

The odd part is with most of these games they actually will do widescreen resolutions if you hack their memory with a game hacking program like ArtMoney. You have to search for the standard 4:3 values, then change them to widescreen values and it works in full 16:9 or 16:10 whatever you entered in. The interface distorts a bit but otherwise looks fine.

So the question i ask is this. Whats the holdup with widescreen support? Widescreen monitors are becomming more and more common. I figured by now it would be standard issue to support these resolutions.

Btw if you would like to ask any questions about artmoney and how to use it to play non widescreen games in widescreen feel free to ask.

P.S.

In case your curious how big a 24" CRT really is...heres a link to a few photos I took:

24" Widescreen CRT Pictures

One reason I have heard of people not going into native widescreen resolutions is because some people consider it "cheating" <-- I call BS tho.

You get to see more area and more of whats going on true, but how is that different from people diong 1gig sli setups against other with 64mb ram cards?

Battlefield 2 is the most recent game I really enjoy playing and I have found many forums which link you to ea's site with threads requestion them to add widescreen fov changes or just widscreen support. All the responces so far have been "we'll let our development team know about this" but well, i'm sure its too much trouble for the development team to actually earn they wages?

I know your not suposed to link to other sites. but I have been using my 21" gateway at 1680 x 1050 (16:10) and have found a site that is very useful.

Click here

They have a large list of games that can be put into widscreen mode and the ways to go about doing this! :lol:

Edited by BoyBandsMustDie

tdborg: a lot of older games for one but im not having a beef about that. Its mainly battlefield 2 thats ticking me off. And as i said in my first post need for speed: most wanted. Both happen to be EA Evil Products. There was a demo or 2 i downloaded that didnt support widescreen either. I cant recall their names.

ICON57: If its the same one im thinking of, I have a few friends that have this. The 2405FPW? 2/3 of the friends had to return theirs after a short while due to dead pixels. Hopefully your brother gets lucky.

Gremlin: The Sony Model number is: GDMFW900 (though this one is through HP so it has their model number on it too which is: A7217A

BoyBandsMustDie: I agree with your assesment on the cheating thing. Thanks for the link, I think ive brushed across that site before but i need to bookmark it.

The weird part is, I would guess a good 70% of the developer's computers out there have widescreen monitors attached to them. Widescreen makes it so much easier to work on projects. I would also guess most of those widescreen monitors are the Dell 2405FPW monitor.

P.S. This monitor has both 15 pin d-sub connections and BNC connections. I was wondering if its possible to buy a converter to go from BNC to component video or BNC to RCA jacks etc so I could hook up a dvd player or xbox or n64 etc to this monitor. It has dual inputs with a switch on the front to switch between the two inputs. But i wasnt sure if BNC could be converted like that.

What isthe model # of the monitor?

613988[/snapback]

2405FPW is the model of the dell, on sale at dells website for 879.00 my bro got it last night, and not a single dead pixel.

this monitor got "gear of the year" award and a kick a$$ award from max pc.

One reason I have heard of people not going into native widescreen resolutions is because some people consider it "cheating" 

You get to see more area and more of whats going on true, but how is that different from people diong 1gig sli setups against other with 64mb ram cards?

613995[/snapback]

heh, i've always wondered the opposite. With CS:S, I always wondered how smoke nades affected those on crappy computers because I can't see crap thru them. If 2 or more are thrown in the same area, I'll literally get lost inside them. lol

just upped my rig to 30" Apple studio displays... so far NO problems with games.  just a few DVD's that weren't widescreen that look a little weird.

614245[/snapback]

my cousin is a mac guy and has has the 23" cinema display for over 2 years, he is a graphic artist. i was very impressed with its size but never once have i seen any video or gaming on it...he is not a gamer at all.

dell also has a new 30" display selling for about 2000.00 or so....

whats your take on dell monitors big red?

and how would you say they compare to the apple monitors?

also, what resolution are you running it at?