A64 / Opteron Ihs Removal Guide

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rig was down for a bit this morning so decided to go for it too while i had it opened up. Also lapped my xp-90 down some more and cut a bit off the mounting bracket to make it sit lower. It was a bit harder then removing the shim from my 9800pro, but still easy if you take your time. Oh, and that IHS is a LOT thicker then I thought it would be!

All together dropped my idle down 7c and load 11c. Niiiice.

**edit** oh, and those shims are only for old school pre barton socket A chips. They are way too big for a64s. **edit**

make a shim :P use neoprene maybe, and you could have it a tiney bit thincker than the core, so it would compress when you applied teh HSF? maybe ill try it out when ig et up teh Khjones to remoe my IHS.

From my own experience, these cores, while always said to be fragile, can put up against quite a bit of pressure as long as you're not being rediculous trying to put a heatsink on. I have an rbx on mine and the way the tubing is run was making the block tilt to one side and not sit flat on the core so I tighetened both sides down almost so that the springs are entirely compressed, the one side slightly more than the other to balance out the force of the tubes pulling to one side.

• 2 weeks later...