Hdr Technology & Ati

Nadger

I was going to get an x800pro but then I heard ATI cards cant do HDR lighting. I love the look of HDR so having a card thats able to do it is a big deal to me.

So I want to hear the facts. Can an x800pro do HDR? If so can it do it just as well as a 6800?

I have never heard such nonsense. I have an ATi 9600XT and I noticed a difference between using HDR and not using HDR. If your getting a new card I would suggest s 6800 though because they have Pixel shader 3.0 which you will need in the next year or so.... thats about the only thing that a 6800 can do that a x800 can't.

EDIT: NVM apparently my card can't do FULL HDR.

Edited by Ghost2520

i dont think 9600 has HDR, isnt it built into the card? and also steam has a page on what cards you can run it with...its i cant remeber the list (never looked) but its somthing like only the top 6800gt, ultra and 7800

which makes sense if the 6800gt is getting 30fps in lost coast at 1280x1024 AA/AF 4x

the 9600 may be able to do the bloom effect which all cards can do, but not true hdr

i think what confuses people is true HDR and The Lost Coast's HDR implementation, Valve chose to "dumb down" their HDR so it would run better on current gen cards like the Series 6 and 7 NV and ATI x1600/x1800's, and so it would run at all on older hardware like the 9600's. 9800's, FX cards, etc....it's not true HDR, it's nice, and it works on lower end hardware

i think what confuses people is true HDR and The Lost Coast's HDR implementation, Valve chose to "dumb down" their HDR so it would run better on current gen cards like the Series 6 and 7 NV and ATI x1600/x1800's, and so it would run at all on older hardware like the 9600's. 9800's, FX cards, etc....it's not true HDR, it's nice, and it works on lower end hardware

576700[/snapback]

:withstupid: yeah, a 9600 cannot due true HDR. The 6 series was the first to support it, and let me tell you, it made FarCry ten times better! The difference was remarkable.

Okay, 6800 it is then. Hopefully mine will unlock okay. The x800pro might give best performance for $200ish in agp but full HDR support on a 6800 seals the deal...and no I cant afford an extra $100 to get a GT...assuming i could find one for sale.

Okay, 6800 it is then.  Hopefully mine will unlock okay.  The x800pro might give best performance for $200ish in agp but full HDR support on a 6800 seals the deal...and no I cant afford an extra $100 to get a GT...assuming i could find one for sale.

577832[/snapback]

Look for a 6800GS! It's cheaper than the GT but performs almost the same...and definitely better than the vanilla 6800.

• 1 month later...
Look for a 6800GS!  It's cheaper than the GT but performs almost the same...and definitely better than the vanilla 6800.

577838[/snapback]

alas they dont make GS in AGP =/ That would def be the card to get if they did.

Seriously though...Nvidia is normally on the ball when it comes to demand. Right now ATI wins hands down when it comes to AGP cards and best bang for your buck AGP cards. Hopefully Nvidia realizes soon that there are many of us who want one more year out of our 32 bit AGP PC and need a good agp card to get us there.