6800gs....another Slap To The Competition

gravy

with the availability and price performance of the 6800gt is just not there imo, id rather just spend the extra and get a 7800gtx. now there is a huge performance boost unless you are williing to spend $600 for a x1800xt which wont perform significantly better than the gtx.

574708[/snapback]

A 7800gtx is pci-e only and costs around $460

A 6800 GT is agp/pci-e and costs around $280

A 6800 GP is pci-e & likely agp and is around $205

A x800 Pro is agp/pci-e and costs around $190-230 (depnding on agp/pci-e)

the gtx and x800pro can both come with vivo.

You make it sound like its not very much more money to get a 7800gtx. $180 difference to most people is quite a bit. But imo the GT vs the GP or x800pro isnt that much better and in some cases, worse. And the diff between a x800pro or 6800gp and 7800gtx is around $255.

And really that 7800gtx is only if you're going to be gaming at 16x12. My monitor gets horrible referesh rates at those resoultions so I like to stick to 12x10 where I can stay at a comfortable 75 hz.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh you forgot the 7800gt for like $330 :lol: well i plan on upgrading my 17" lcd to a 19" one later on. as for the pro, theres also the chance of flashing it to a xtpe. i honestly dont mind spending $180 more for the gtx though, but hey, you pay for what you get for.

Guest Flashstar

The 6800gs is natively designed for pci-e so I don't think it's going to be AGP. Right now though, it seems that the 6800gs is better than the x1600.

not only is the GPU PCI-E native, but the 6800GS is based on the Series 7 PCB also, not the Series 6 PCB like the 6800GT, and there has not been one single Series 7 GPU/PCB bridged to AGP yet, i dont expect them to start now, clearly the 7800GT would have been the one to bridge to AGP

who really want to buy midranged cards? not i, and i could careless about people buying midranged cards. besides the x800 series (old and outdated like the 6800gt) outperforms the new midranged cards from ati, shocking? no... its just low quality cards for poor people (no offense)

573759[/snapback]

not everyones mommy and daddy buys them video cards

574783[/snapback]

Yeah tell me about it (and yes i haev a 6800 and a 7800GT, and i paid for both of them)

I have to say, it seems to be a very nice midrange card. Fully capable of enjoying any modern game with it. Not to mention the new 1600XT they compare ti to's price, an estimate of $250usd (based on the second review)...umm I think I would pass that up easilly and grab a 6800GS, a card i could actually run out and buy for $215 or less today...

wait, are u saying their going to completely stop making 6800gt's?

I dont find them hard to come by, or are u talking just about the AGP versions, cause the PCI-E one's are everywhere, but are they going to stop making those too?

and what core does the 7800 series have?

Edited by CoolMaster

They could easily make a 7800 or the 6800GP into agp. The reason 7800s arrent is because they want to force the pci-e upgrade. If they set the cutoff point t 7 series and higher...down the road we'll all need pci-e if we want to upgrade from our 5 and 6 series.

Its not a technical issue, its a marketing issue. That said, the 6800gs is meant to be a mainstream upper-mid-range card. It would be stupid for them not to offer it in agp at some point.

Edit: 7800s & the 6800gp use the nv42 core i believe

Edited by Nadger

but are they going to quit making 6800gt's like umm that one guys said in this thread, or is he just talking about the AGP versions?

574843[/snapback]

IF the gs's are as good as the gt's and at a equal or lower price, then yes they'll probably end production on the gt's. No sense of wasting money competing with yourself, ya know? However, if they don't create a GS AGP, then they'd be stupid to end production on the 6800GT AGP.

574783[/snapback]

eh, but they dont always buy my sneakers, eh i remember buying my $150 sneakers with my own money.

SCREW NVIDIA, SCREW ATI!! MY ONBOARD INTEL 810 PWNS~!!!!!

574856[/snapback]

welcome back buddy :lol: where ya been?