Learn From Other's Mistakes...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods involving live chickens never work out well.....

Operation Super-Cluck was a horrible blunder.... don't ask :P

536067[/snapback]

I'd be interested in seeing pics of that one.

As for me.

- When using a dremel be careful, they can jump around and put nicks in your case where you don't want them. I put a big scratch on the front of my case.

be sure when you leave your case on the floor unattended...your dog that pisses all over everything is NOT in the room.

do not stick wet fingers into case while computer is on

do not yank PSU wires out of all of your hardware simulateously while computer is running.

- if you buy parts online for a new computer save up your money and buy them all at once you will save ALOT of money on shipping

- make sure you have all of your comp parts BEFORE you mod your case otherwise you may have problems fitting everything in

- plan what you want more than a few days when buying something as expensive as a W/C computer

- keyboards + fists + angerment = missing keys

****EDIT**** w00t second star

Edited by Misuta Yancha

This doesn't relate so much to computers as it does arcade game cabinets.

I was swapping a monitor out of my Neo Geo machine with another monitor I had and thought I could take care of this seemingly simple task by myself. Well, it turns out that although monitors are interchangable, the wiring isn't. I'm no electrician but I figured "how hard could it be?". Harder than I thought, apparently. The first time I turned on the machine after installing the new monitor, the power supply started shooting out blue flames. Of course I immediately unplugged the machine. For whatever reason, the power supply seemed to still work, but I figured I probably can't use the onboard power supply fo the monitor. So this time, I plugged the monitor into the wall (the old one did not have it's own plug for power) and fired it up. It seemed to work ok this time. Not knowing how to leave well enough alone, and having a strong desire to not have 2 plugs in the outlet, I decided to see if I could manage to power the monitor from the internal power source again, but using a different ground this time. Well, that was a bad idea. As soon as I turned it on, it sounded like someone put a 9mm to my head and pulled the trigger. Lotsa smoke and smells later, I decided to put the old monitor back in. It looked like crap, but at least it worked. The good monitor obviously had bitten the dust. I learned not to ever try that again without a qualified electrician to look it over.

if you drop a screw in the case, take it out while you are thinking about it! I figured i would get it when i was done, but i forgot about it, put my mobo back in ontop of it, and it shorted something really really bad. Oh and w/ the same incident, if your UPS is putting off an overcurrent alarm and your PSU keeps cutting off... dont keep turning it back on to try and figure out what is wrong lol. I did that and aparently it was the screw. needless to say i kept turning it back on and eventually the PSU couldnt handle it anymore and blew up. Took out my Mobo, CPU, PSU, and damaged a HDD. :( hard times...