Learn From Other's Mistakes...

if you drop a screw in the case, take it out while you are thinking about it! I figured i would get it when i was done, but i forgot about it, put my mobo back in ontop of it, and it shorted something really really bad. Oh and w/ the same incident, if your UPS is putting off an overcurrent alarm and your PSU keeps cutting off... dont keep turning it back on to try and figure out what is wrong lol. I did that and aparently it was the screw. needless to say i kept turning it back on and eventually the PSU couldnt handle it anymore and blew up. Took out my Mobo, CPU, PSU, and damaged a HDD. :( hard times...

536918[/snapback]

what exactly did ur screw fall on

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure to measure stuff first so that when you put the side of the case back on it actually fits. heh... i forgot to measure the window so when i tried to put it on the rivets and plexi prevented the side panel from fitting back on, needless to say i had to make things ugly to make it work. so make sure to measure

what exactly did ur screw fall on

537534[/snapback]

Well it fell into the case and i put the motherboard on top of it apparently. So basically, whatever it was touching, it grounded it to the case. I'm not exactly sure what it was grounding on the motherboard though. I just know that after if fried, i took the mobo out, and out dropped the screw :(

Ouch that must've sucked

EDIT: oh yea dont let animals get near your computer while ur building it lol, they tend to get their tails STUCK in fans, YES my dog accidentally rubbed his tail into a tornado fan, Yeah he ran away real quick, now he doesnt get near my computer lol

Edited by CoolMaster

Ouch that must've sucked

EDIT: oh yea dont let animals get near your computer while ur building it lol, they tend to get their tails STUCK in fans, YES my dog accidentally rubbed his tail into a tornado fan, Yeah he ran away real quick, now he doesnt get near my computer lol

537910[/snapback]

thats horrible, maybe you should nickname him stubby.

-don't accidentally discharge your cold cathode power converter's capacitor to your hand (while computer is running or not), for the cold cathode may stop working. :(

-don't let your stupid brother let your computer run all night with the video card overclocked very high or you may have a video card that changes its clock speeds whenever it feels like and you have to over/under clock it to compensate.

On that same note about cathodes..

Dont touch the pins which you use to connect your cathode to, on the inverter.. it will hurt, and you will smell burnt flesh. I have done this a few times in the past.. oh man it hurts.. anyone wanna give it a try :);)

i have done all of these

dont carry too many bits down stairs at once you will drop something, i lost my portable HD that way it will soon be a new clock on my desk

dont try to fit CCFL's to your xbox while it is on the psu is uncovered and electricity jumps, feels pretty good tho for about half a second,

dont force athlonXP hsf to hard onto the clip if its feels like its breaking the motherboard it is

if you smell burning near your computer dont wait until you figure out its your motherboards southbridge melting with nice coloured flames, switch off then investigate. <<<this happened twice

dont attempt to fold on your mates pc while he is not looking, you will get a dead arm or leg

-Never switch your PSU to foreign current (if you live in the U.S.)

-Don't let open wires touch your metal case.

-NEVER try to play a guitar with multiple distortion pedals and an amp while touching your metal case.

-Don't overclock so high that the rotors in your 120mm fans melt.

-Hiding wires in places with sharp edges can cause problems.

-Never push your Radeon 7500 as high as a 6600GT.

-Mini fridges are not good cases for computers.

Don't ever pull on the power cable when trying to unplug it from your video card, thang god I fixed mine though :)

Nothing to do with comps but:

If you have one of those wind-proof lighters, and it seems to be out of gas no matter how many times you push it, then your friend puts it to your leg and goes "Look it's out of gas" and then all of a sudden you smell burnt flesh (AWFUL smell), just say no! I now have a mark that will stay with me for life :D