Too Much Patriotism

Bigevil954

But the thing I most missed about America, other than the fact that everyone speaks English, is being able to drink the tap water.

520620[/snapback]

That depends on what part :lol: In central florida the tapwater sucks. When I lived in NY it was the same as bottled watter, but here it actually tastes different.

...oh well, I dont drink much water anyway(yes I know thats bad for you) :lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think patriotism is a tricky thing these days. Patriotism, by its dictionary definition, is never bad. However, I think very few people would actually define it that way today. Patriotism is loving your home (country), and the governmental systems that keep it running. Patriotism is not (necessarily) supporting the -current- president and every action and statement he/she makes. Example:

I think Bush is retarded. Not like mean, little kiddy instult retarded. I think the man is of sub-par intelligence. However, I still love my country and my government. Even though I, as an individual, lost the election (didn't get my pick), the country won. We were asked to choose, we did choose, and the popular vote won. That's approximately 50,000 times better than a lot of countries have it. For that, I'm thankful. Also, even though I didn't get my pick, it's not like my world has been plunged into the dark ages. In fact, if I hadn't seen it on TV, I probably wouldn't even know who was president. In most of our daily lives, the president (Bush or Kerry, for example), doesn't make a huge difference. That is because we have strict requirements in order to make sure that drastic things don't happen. Again, this is something that a lot of other countries don't have.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think that me not liking Bush is unpatriotic. They think that any disagreement with our president is unpatriotic. That is not true at all. The American way is not, and should never be, to follow blindly. If it was, we'd still be a brittish colony. In the constitution we are clearly told that we have not only the right but the responsibility to voice disagreements with laws and governmental actions that we see as unfit. Questioning the government can be a very healthy and productive practice. It's the same logic that makes us all love competition in economics. Monopolies are bad for the consumer, because if no one stands up to them, they can do whatever suits THEM best, not us.

Another example is the war. I have never supported it. People have always told me that's unpatriotic, and that I should "support our troops". Dur. Of course I support our troops. Just because I don't have fourteen magnetic ribbons on my bumper doesn't mean I don't support the troops. Everyone supports the troops. We all want them home soon, and unharmed. No one wants to just leave them over there for dead. But just because I support the troops, that doesn't mean I have to support the war. That's my right.

So yes patriotism is a good thing, and you can never have enough. But you should never stop questioning your government either. You CAN have it both ways.

the funny thing is, verran, I actually have 14 magnetic "Support our Troops" ribbons :lol: . But I don't display them all at once. I cycle through them. Right now I have the desert camo edition "Support our Troops" Ribbon. Last week i had a kick@$$ First Cavalry Division Support our Troops ribbon, but someone stole it while I was in Wal Mart one day...

I am, by many peoples' definition, a redneck. I have a "southern twang"- a Texas drawl mixed in with some backwoods Alabama slang; that has a lot to do with the fact that I was raised in Alabama and Texas :D. I drive what the liberals call, "a gas guzzling SUV" or as the bronco manual says, "MPV" (bigred). I have a big, loud, gurgling dual exhaust system, and a "W The President" sticker on the back glass. I race rice burners every weekend on my way home from work, and always win. While I'm driving I'm either blasting metallica, skynyrd, eagles, or some form of country music. I live outside the city down a nice quiet road in a nice, quiet house. I also agree with you that you do not have to support the troops, or our president, to be "patriotic"...but it helps a lot, that's for sure. Just the good ol' boys, never meanin' no harm.... I've gotta say this is one of the most exciting topics I've ever had the privilege of being involved in, and I thank you all!

I am not really patriotic at all. I'm not too bothered about it either. I don't care how patriotic others are as long as they don't engage in forceful proselytizing. You want to put a "Support our troops" sticker on your car? Fine. You want to put twenty of those things on your car? Fine. I don't care. Having one or one hundred of those stickers on your car doesn't prove anything in my opinion. Do as you please. That's America--for the time being.

I am not really patriotic at all.  I'm not too bothered about it either.  I don't care how patriotic others are as long as they don't engage in forceful proselytizing.  You want to put a "Support our troops" sticker on your car?  Fine.  You want to put twenty of those things on your car?  Fine.  I don't care.  Having one or one hundred of those stickers on your car doesn't prove anything in my opinion.  Do as you please.  That's America--for the time being.

521090[/snapback]

that was a little sidetracked and overly arrogant, but...ok :thumbs-up:

i've never seen so many flags in front of every house anywhere in the world (i've been to many countries in 3 continents)... the flag thing is kinda odd, over here in england we don't have flags in front of our houses... we keep them tucked away for days like winning international footie or something...

even tho we have relatively crappy weather and our taxes and economy are kinda messed up, most people really like england cos of the way we are, our culture, humour, and social structure... i'd rather live here in england than in most places in america...

so i guess that makes me a patriot, even tho i'd never say "i'm patriotic", nor do i own or display a flag whether it be the england or uk flag, nor do i support any of the idiots in parliament (i don't vote), nor do i know all the words to the national anthem...

i guess, essentially, we all love england despite it's shortcomings, we just don't make such a big deal about it...

Be patriotic all you want as long as it doesn't cloud your judgement and vision.

we just don't make such a big deal about it...

This is why I love most people from other not-so-patriotic countries, because there is almost no chance that their pride and arrogance will "cloud their judgement and vision" because most don't make such a big deal about it. I don't know about you but I think it's easier to make your best decision if you're not all for one "side" in almost any situation.

By the way, just because a person doesn't absolutely love their country doesn't mean they're not grateful for what they have in that country.

Edited by Instag0