Windows Vista

Kash

hehe that would be funny. I agree with what yo said, But even thought Microsoft will probably not be releasing anything NEW (i mean a new idea, new concept, etc.) soon, people will still buy it. I mean what will the common people use? Once all software makers realize the linux market (Id say 5-10 years), maybe people will start slowly switching. I would say in 15 year more then 50% of people will be using linux. At least thats what i hope. :D

515760[/snapback]

exactlly... windows is out the door... people will get this one and maby the next one but I predict that thats the end... just because they will get fed up with what windows is doing... and will want an alternative. Most people know OF linux but dont know what it is. Im sure once there is a linux distro out there that people can recomend (and costs money... people think they get crap if its free) then it will take off.

A lot of games do have linux suport and more and more are being developed with linux support in mind. Go iD software.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really a big user of Linux, but I would rather see Apple take over the industry. Looking at where MS is going with Longhorn I really don't think it will take off that well. Only time will tell.

exactlly... windows is out the door... people will get this one and maby the next one but I predict that thats the end... just because they will get fed up with what windows is doing... and will want an alternative.  Most people know OF linux but dont know what it is.  Im sure once there is a linux distro out there that people can recomend (and costs money... people think they get crap if its free) then it will take off.

515767[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? You DO realize that about 70% of computer users out there don't even KNOW what an operating system is? They just push the power button, watch their computers turn on, push the green Start button and are happy. They still use IE because they don't know what Firefox is, nor do they care. IE works fine for them and think popups are part of the browsing experience.

Once the popups start to get annoying, they'll drive down to the local CompUSA or BestBuy and pick up a popup blocker for 30 or 40 bucks. When they get home, it'll decrease (not eliminate) the number of popups, so they'll be happy again. They have a million toolbars in IE, which they don't care enough about to remove (they don't know that it's really spyware that's tracking their browsing habits). If anything goes wrong with their computer, they take it to where they bought it, which will charge them a good c-note just to check what's wrong with it. After about 2 - 3 weeks, they get their computer back and they go right back to doing what messed up the computer the first time. When repair costs start coming near the $400 to $500 they originally paid for the system, they just throw it away and buy a brand spanking new computer.

You think 50% of the users out there will be using Linux in 10 to 15 years? You think Windows will die off in another revision? Think again. Windows is here now, and will continue to be here for quite a while. As long as people don't have to learn how to use their computers, Microsoft will reign supreme. The only way you can get people to stop using Windows is doing one of two things. First, bundle a user-friendly Linux with new computers that works hassle-free. This is the only way to get a major chunk of the population to start using Linux. Second, let Mac OSX run on regular PCs. People will go to the store, see the prettier interface, and buy that one. Or they will go over a friend's house and see how much easier Mac OSX is and how much prettier it looks, and then buy a copy for themselves.

Command-line interface, drivers, and a lack of software support by major companies will keep 70% to 80% of the computing population from Linux. They don't care enough because they have better things to do with their lives: mainly their familes and jobs (which are not tech-oriented). Don't think that because YOU know about Linux it means that a good portion of the population knows about it too. People are just too lazy and ignorant about computers, it's the sad truth.

Edit: This post sounded very pro-MS. Just wanted to clarify that I personally am all for a competing OS, it promotes innovation and better products for the end-user. Though I'm not a MS-basher either, you have to admit that when properly cared for, they still have the most hassle-free OS out there.

You're kidding, right? You DO realize that about 70% of computer users out there don't even KNOW what an operating system is? They just push the power button, watch their computers turn on, push the green Start button and are happy. They still use IE because they don't know what Firefox is, nor do they care. IE works fine for them and think popups are part of the browsing experience.

Command-line interface, drivers, and a lack of software support by major companies will keep 70% to 80% of the computing population from Linux. They don't care enough because they have better things to do with their lives: mainly their familes and jobs (which are not tech-oriented). Don't think that because YOU know about Linux it means that a good portion of the population knows about it too. People are just too lazy and ignorant about computers, it's the sad truth.

515805[/snapback]

I could not agree with you more. Most users are as apathetic as they come. They don't know anything, and they DON'T WANT TO either. We're talking about people that still call the whole PC case a "hard drive". You can sit at these forums and look at all the people who know all this stuff, but I dare you to go put on a blue shirt at best buy and listen to some of the rediculous questions customers ask EVERYDAY. When you hear about rednecks subscribing to AOL so the "free virus protection" will keep them disease free, it's NOT a joke. These people are clueless. People look at computers like magic, and they just assume they'll never understand, so they don't even try.

There is no way that "regular" users are going to be using Linux anytime soon. You'd be lucky to get them using OS/X in that timeline.

There is no way that "regular" users are going to be using Linux anytime soon.  You'd be lucky to get them using OS/X in that timeline.

515817[/snapback]

I think the users that will switch to OSX if it could be installed on regular PCs would be mostly women, young children, and guys who like pretty interfaces (guilty)

I agree as well. Most people think that the os is the comp and i doubt that they even know or care wut a cpu is. And I bet if your mention mobo companys such as abit, Msi, asus, Dfi they'd be like "never herd of them." Im pretty sure if u mention Dell, Gateway, Alienware (scuse my french :lol: ), or even emachines they b like "Yea I know wut u mean." All these people know are the names of companys like dell or microsoft. There fore they will continue to buy over priced computers and those computers will be bundled with Windows Vista. People will get used to it and then they will just buy it because the name microsoft is 2nd nature to them. People might buy Mac OS X if it is compatible with the avarage pc cus of all of the looks of it and visua stuff. But I dont see linux becoming too user friendly too soon nor do I see game companys supporting it very much of corse with the exception of id. Unless linux becomes more user frindly and Steve Jobs decided to make OS X compatible with the avarage pc I doubt microsoft will have alot of competition. I do hope that microsoft will have competition or im afraid that Windows will get much worse and I have no idea wut vista will be like but it might be better than or worse than xp since they removed much of the features that it was suppose to have. Really we prolly wotn know wut will happen at this point but im sure we will know wut will happen in the next 5-10 years.

Unless linux becomes more user frindly and Steve Jobs decided to make OS X compatible with the avarage pc I doubt microsoft will have alot of competition..

516009[/snapback]

did you miss the whole x86 OS X thing... you could nativilly emulate windows from OS X or even dual boot... if Jobs allows that to happen which I believe he has...

also... linux is becoming more and more user friendlly... have you ever tried it?

hmm... I want to see Bill Gates just go "hmm... you know what.  Ive made a . load of money... I think I'll just quit now"

515756[/snapback]

Did you get that from the TWiT cast?? EP#14??

or........  you could just not pirate software........

515742[/snapback]

stop joking man, whoes gonna pay for every song.

your funny.

I have not met anyone who doesn't use limewire or something like it.

its only illegal if u get caught.

Big loyal fan here too :D But yea I just showed my sister the Video from the microsoft site of Windows Vista, she hates the new name. But I'm actually going to get a copy like 1 year after the release, after bug fix and such.

im currently beta testing hte builds: home(32bit) and pro ver.(64bit)

there is only builds

and they are buggy as hell

i went to my computer, and it gave me all these errors and froze lol. doesnt really work. but by next 6 months, it should be in alpha stage