Windows Vista

Kash

Looks like Windows Codename: Longhorn finally has a name: Windows Vista

I don't particularly find it very appealing, but that's my personal opinion. Windows XP was fine, but I wish they would just stick with a numbering scheme. It keeps Microsoft's products from sounding idiotic since they obviously lack a creative naming department.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Among the key features of Vista are a new searching mechanism

So in otherwords its going to have a more graphicaly intensive and more anoyign search dog.

There will also be visual changes, thanks to Avalon, ranging from shiny translucent windows to icons that are tiny representations of a document itself.

In english "we ripped of mac once but their os still looks better than ours so we'll rip them of again."

I think Ill keep win xp as long a possible, If not completely switch to linux.

Well, I tried Longhorn out (on a microsoft beta subscribed friend's computer) once, and I think microsoft is just trying to add as many new features as they can think of. Heck, I dont even use the themes in XP, why would i need transparent windows, and shiny icons? New search stuff, winFS (or somthing like that i completely forgot), and those things you can live without. I will never buy it, unless it comes bundled free with something.

As for the name change, i liked longhorn better, but sure, vista.. I wonder what Blackcomb(sp?) will be named.. :D

why cant they keep to numbers? i liked that more, it was so much easier to laugh at someone with older stuff

514468[/snapback]

Well, if they kept with numbers, then people wouldn't be willing to upgrade. Windows 2000 was technically version 5.0. Windows XP was simply 5.1, not much of a difference to the average consumer. Hence, they don't have much incentive to upgrade. Vista will probably be a 5.x too. It would have been 6.0 if they had included everything they originally wanted, especially WinFS.

I honestly don't understand why it's taking them so long to come out with this OS when they're not even including the most prominent features they originally promised (original launch date was 2004 then pushed to 2006 with half the features). How could Microsoft, a company with billions of dollars at its disposal, not be able to hire even half competent programmers? Are they having monkeys do the programming? Honestly, the statement of sticking a bunch of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and having them eventually produce Shakespeare was highly improbably, and they expect these monkeys to produce a stable, secure OS.

The reasobn for this long was initially within the OS they were going to use a database to keep track of files and stuff to make search easier. So they finally scrapped the idea.

I thought they were goign to rid of the Windows name

From MaximumPC:

-----------------------------------------------------------

In a move that has sent shockwaves through

the computer industry, Microsoft recently

announced it was dropping the "My" prefix

from various folders in its upcoming Longhorn OS.

The "My Documents" folder, for example, will

simply be named "Documents" in the upcoming

OS. Can we get a hallelujah?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Always on the forefront of innovation, lol.