Camera Question

I have a Fuji S5100 4mp camera

its not slr :( but i know i can buy lenses that go ont he end and i can get either telephoto or wide angle im thinking wide angle would benefit me more for city/building/urban shots or do you think the telephoto would?

also this is kinda random but what exactly makes someone a professional photographer?

They know how to get the right angle to make the lighting just right and everything that should be in focus is in focus. Also, if you spend over $1000 equipment, you're automatically a "professional" in my book>

over $1000 isnt a lot - i just spent $2000 and am far from pro!

my image gallery at stock xchg

most of these are from a 3.2mp Fuji S304, so, you dont NEED the fuji attachments, although they are pretty good fun. for urban, i'd say wide-angle will give you more interesting results, whereas telephoto will provide more interesting depth of field in some cases. it varies so much.

also look here

henbenly's thread where i posted some images

you dont need to have fancy lenses to be good - creativity and practice are best imo. trial and error! :lol:

it all depends on your needs...if you take your camera out, and you can't get close enough with zoming and croping then perhaps a tele attachment help. same goes for a wide angle. although someone once said, the best wide angle lens is to take 3 steps back. :)

as for a professional, technically that just means you get paied, but there is a big difference between someone paying for you to take some pictures or someone buying a picture from you, and being able to live off taking pictures.

I probably have about $3k in camera equiptment, but haven't been paied for any work. I don't have any plans to make money off of it either. I take pictures mostly for my own enjoyment.

i've easily spent over $3000 in equipment over time, and made a little bit of money through people amking small donations, however as sykocus said: mostly for enjoyment. spending $3k on camera equipment is far too easy...some lenses cost $1000 alone.

i get a few enquiries ever couple of weeks asking to use my work for non-commercial projects, and have had chrysler-daimler use an image for corporate work. i also got a cover of a magazine which was colour, and A2 sized.

practice makes perfect - for every 100 shots you take trying to get it right, one or two will be what you are aiming for.

as for choice between telephoto and wide, do you have difficulty fitting stuff in frame? wide.

Do you not want to get close to a stinky subject? Tele.

Professional photographer: gets paid :P

http://forums.photographyreview.com

Check that out, check out the critiques, and learn. Dont know if you're just looking to improve or what.

i wish i could spend 3k on camera stuff

511851[/snapback]

I wish i could spend 3k on anything

Well btw, I dont know much about this photo stuff, but what do you REALLY need to start? Like what kind of camera would be the minimum, and then what kind of camera would be a good start? Im just wondering... :lol:

I would say a minimum camera if you don't actually own one, is anything you can get your hands on that gives you some kind of control over what you are taking.

A good start into something a bit more serious would be an slr, whether digital or not.

If you get a chance to do some kind of photography in school, then consider that as well as you will learn alot and might get some of your costs subsidised.

I wish i could spend 3k on anything

Well btw, I dont know much about this photo stuff, but what do you REALLY need to start? Like what kind of camera would be the minimum, and then what kind of camera would be a good start? Im just wondering... :lol:

512048[/snapback]

well ive been using a canon powershot A40 and i really havent gotten any "amazing shots" but i have managed to get a few decent ones. you cant really do much on that besides shutter time and stuff

i'll be ordering a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT as soon as I can get the money, then eventually getting more lenses and stuff for it.