Dual Core?

Well the way I have hear of it FX series are for gaming and AMD X2 for muiltasking

506126[/snapback]

i'd say X2 (or any other dual core/cpu solution) is for parallel processing rather than using multitasking... i'd use dual core/cpu for 3D rendering and video encoding where the benefits are blatantly obvious...

not simply for using multiple apps at the same time... more for getting a massive performance boost in apps that make use of more than one cpu...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you do konw.. that the ratings 4200,4400,4600 and 4800 are based on both cores so if your app is only using one it will not run like a 4200 etc it will run around the speed of the 939 single core cpu that is clocked the say, aka 3200+ 2.0ghz (4200) 4400+ (3400+ 2.2ghz) 4600 (3500+) 4800 (3700/3800). make sense? now mutitaske apps that use muti cpu and coded for it will run like a 4800+ cpu (Etc) b/c both them cobined run like if there was a single 4800 probly would be 3.2ghz.

Edited by hornybluecow

you do konw.. that the ratings 4200,4400,4600 and 4800 are based on both cores so if your app is only using one it will not run like a 4200 etc it will run around the speed of the 939 single core cpu that is clocked the say, aka 3200+ 2.0ghz (4200)  4400+ (3400+ 2.2ghz) 4600 (3500+)  4800 (3700/3800). make sense? now mutitaske apps that use muti cpu and coded for it will run like a 4800+ cpu (Etc) b/c both them cobined run like if there was a single 4800 probly would be 3.2ghz.

508717[/snapback]

So your saying that a dual core like the 4200+ will only run @ 2.0ghz with 1 core in use but with 2 cores in use it will run at 2.2ghz could you fix the problem by overclcoking 200mhz and then a singal core would run at 2.2Ghz but the computer would say it would run at 2.4ghz?

hold up here. looks like we've got some more problems.

the 4200+ and 4400+ both run @ the same speed.. 2.2ghz. the 4200+ has 1mb of cache total (512k per core), while the 4400+ has 2mb total (1mb per core). same is true of the 2.4ghz models the 4600+ and 4800+. and in apps that only use one cpu (aka nearly 100% of games and 95% of other software) it will act exactly like the single core cpu that corrisponds with the speed and cache. pure and simple.

yeah i got a little confused but its the same point, one app coded for one cpu will run just a single core with that speed and chatch so 2.0ghz 4200+ 1mb x2 512kb would be a 3000+ 512kb since only 512kb is in use.? or 3200? and 1mb would be the one above etc. am i right red?

I get it know why the 4200 could be slower then a singal core because right know most programs would use the first core and 512k and 2.2ghz isn't very fast could see there were itscould lower your gaming or other program preformance it like getting a 3500+ goes the same speed same amount of L1 and L2 cache.

yeah i got a little confused but its the same point, one app coded for one cpu will run just a single core with that speed and chatch so 2.0ghz 4200+ 1mb x2 512kb would be a 3000+ 512kb since only 512kb is in use.? or 3200? and 1mb would be the one above etc. am i right red?

508802[/snapback]

It's like a never ending cycle...

red comes in and straightens the thread out, and then someone posts something like this and my brain reboots again...

It seems like you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it is...

It seems like you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it is...

508825[/snapback]

Ahh i like complex stuff...anyway, i see no need for a gaming rig with dual core, but a 3200+ now, save a crap load of cash, next year buy a dual core ASSUMING THEY ARE BEING USED by the "next gen apps" Now if anyone wants to donate ANY dual core CPU for me to use in my work PC (video editing/encoding etc) then feel free to :lol: ill get a board and ram!

And as far as HT goes....it's not all that usefull, sure in a few situations you get a boost, and in some having it enaled slows things down....

I get my Dell Pentium Dual Core tomorrow according to my UPS tracking number. Hopefully it gets here early so I can test out this beast, IF not I'll have to wait until Monday because I'm leaving for Kentucky Friday morning.

It will be mainly used for scanning huge xrays. my main comp at work is a P4 3.2 HT, I'll have to see how the 2 compare. :blink:

Well I have my AMD Dual Coming in the moring but now I think I may just sell it to my buddy who does Video Editing and I should just stick with a 4000 or buy a FX :(

My question with the Dual Core could you edit two movies at the sametime and decent speeds?