Dual Core?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, I'm not really a gamer, I use my machine for multimedia. I watch TV, surf the web, etc etc. Since I am new to this forum, can anyone tell me what F@H is?

Thanks

JusB - aol

no you can't tell the core temps seperate. the temp sensor is actually right in between the two cores. and with everything as small as it is... you can imagine there's not a huge amount of room for temp to fluctuate.

and I'll still stand by my statement of: the X2 is NOT for the average user, it's NOT for the gamer, it's NOT for the person who multitasks with 4 or 5 little apps, it's NOT for the person who feels 1gb of ram is enough. it IS for people doing major video editting, it IS for people doing Photoshop for $$$, it IS for people doing autocad, it IS for people doing 3d studio max, it IS for the people who are running 2 or 3 adobe apps at once, it IS for the people who think 8gb of ram is a good start. basically it's for those who use thier computer to make $$$. a professional CPU. a workstation CPU.

you also can NOT play a game while encoding video. I've heard this several times. it's just not true. either gaming or encoding will eat up other system resources beyond the CPU. ram, hard drive, and so on will all be taxed too. so what if you have a second cpu.

people seriously need to stop blowing dual core out of proportions.

Edited by bigred

no you can't tell the core temps seperate.  the temp sensor is actually right in between the two cores.  and with everything as small as it is...  you can imagine there's not a huge amount of room for temp to fluctuate.

and I'll still stand by my statement of:  the X2 is NOT for the average user, it's NOT for the gamer, it's NOT for the person who multitasks with 4 or 5 little apps, it's NOT for the person who feels 1gb of ram is enough.  it IS for people doing major video editting, it IS for people doing Photoshop for $$$, it IS for people doing autocad, it IS for people doing 3d studio max, it IS for the people who are running 2 or 3 adobe apps at once, it IS for the people who think 8gb of ram is a good start.  basically it's for those who use thier computer to make $$$.  a professional CPU.  a workstation CPU.

you also can NOT play a game while encoding video.  I've heard this several times.  it's just not true.  either gaming or encoding will eat up other system resources beyond the CPU.  ram, hard drive, and so on will all be taxed too.  so what if you have  a second cpu. 

people seriously need to stop blowing dual core out of proportions.

506014[/snapback]

Hey Red, I just bought a P4 2.8 dual core from Dell....yes Dell, its for work. I'm using it for scanning large X-Rays, photoshop, and multitasking in databases. I only got a gig of ram. Should that be enough? It came out to $1700 with a 17 lcd ultrasharp and a 256mb 6800 pci-e graphics card. I guess I'll find out in about a week when it get s in. might have to buy another gig. :(

Guest Flashstar

I've read many reviews and they have all proven that you can run many applications at once without the frame rates dropping dramatically in a game like Half Life 2.

yeah, if you're doing x-ray scanning you will definitely do better having daul core.

as far as those reviews... having winamp open or leaving your web browser open doesn't count as multitasking... I have been doing that for years even back to my athlon xp 1700+. it's when people think they can have a video encoding and still play a game like HL2... I've tried this... 8gb of ram and 15k scsi U320 dual 512mb 6800ultras, and the system still can't keep up... 8fps is hardly playable, especially when you have 15 second lags.

Thanks for the info, I'm not really a gamer,  I use my machine for multimedia. I watch TV, surf the web, etc etc. Since I am new to this forum, can anyone tell me what F@H is?

Thanks

JusB - aol

505929[/snapback]

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/FoldingHome-f37.html

If you don't find an explaination there, its a client that works in the background whatever amount of the CPU your not using to fold protien data, in short its cancer reasearch. Any other question ask at the link I posted.

Thanks, I just donated 16 inches of my own hair to Locks of Love for the cancer kids. Sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Do you by chance have an opinion as to whether to purchase the AMD X2 or FX series?

Thanks, I just donated 16 inches of my own hair to Locks of Love for the cancer kids. Sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Do you by chance have an opinion as to whether to purchase the AMD X2 or FX series?

506079[/snapback]

Well the way I have hear of it FX series are for gaming and AMD X2 for muiltasking like said earlyer. Both of the series cost a lot of money.

Also

it's NOT for the gamer

Sure a dual core will problay not add any speed to a game but does it really matter if you play a game with a singal or dual core for example would the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939 be the same as a amd 64 x2 4200+ but it the 3700+ does not have a dual core. Would they both run a game same?

You have to take into consideration, though, that with all of the newer consoles using multi-core technology, it's only a matter of time before PC games get multi-thread support, then dual core will pretty much become standard. That shouldn't be far off, either.