Dual Core?

Just be wary of the nF3 UT Ultra-D right now. That thing has more BIOS bugs then dirty kitchens have cockroaches.

509516[/snapback]

yeah, they've had almost a year to wor the bugs out of it... and they're still having problems :( very sad cuz hardware wise it's on par or better than the MSI K8N Neo2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Numerous reports of problems with the 705 BIOS. DFI Street is saying to stick to the BIOS that comes with the board. Turns out quite a few people have had to RMA or hotflash their boards to get them to work again.

Good board, but you can definitely find better RAM than that. CAS 3? Not good, even for value RAM. Also, you might want to definitely spring for at least a gig. Also try to get RAM with lower latencies for better performance, if you can afford it. I know, good RAM can be very expensive (my RAM cost almost as much as my processor and twice as much as my mobo).

509950[/snapback]

I know I allready have a 512 rosewell stick of ram I am going to put in there problay replace that later anyways somone said cruail was good but I am problay going to go with OCZ.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about this possible use for dual cores. Normal PC's must context switch between all different programs running based on priority. So if you have 27(minor) programs in your task manager then your CPU is running all of these programs using multitasking. This allows for ease of use and responsiveness to the user. With a dual core system on the other hand. Why can't one processor's affinity be set to the game and all other running programs bet bound to the second core. Wouldn't this allow for 0 context switching and much more available processor time for the game. I could be wrong but I was hoping to use an X2 in this capacity.

I was wondering about this possible use for dual cores. Normal PC's must context switch between all different programs running based on priority. So if you have 27(minor) programs in your task manager then your CPU is running all of these programs using multitasking. This allows for ease of use and responsiveness to the user. With a dual core system on the other hand. Why can't one processor's affinity be set to the game and all other running programs bet bound to the second core. Wouldn't this allow for 0 context switching and much more available processor time for the game. I could be wrong but I was hoping to use an X2 in this capacity.

515932[/snapback]

Single core CPU's don't actually multitask. What actually happens is called "pre-emptive multitasking", and it is done at the level of the OS. Today's single core CPU running Windows 3.11 is not going to handle multiple tasks, the OS isn't made to do that. Pre-emptive multitasking was started with Win 9x, and has been improved in 2000/XP by the implementation of the HAL. I suggest that you study this stuff, and then you can learn how to use the power of dual cores and OS's to their full potential.

It is still not true multitasking.  HT is simply 2 virtual CPU's.

516001[/snapback]

Yeah, bc if it WAS really that great a 2.8HT should do jsut as good as a 2.8 Dual core....and well in games it should....but for video encoding etc....no