Apple On X86

d3bruts1d

Will you buy an x86 based Mac?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy an x86 based Mac?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe / Unsure

macs are very proprietary, but i think thats why they work so much better. oh and whoever said they didnt like their mac cuz it didnt game, i do agree w/ that. i have my PC for gaming. hopefully macs will get a better software backing when they move to intel.

coolzero... the reason macs aren't hacked is because of the kernal they are based on. its not very well known and nobody hacks it. even if it is because not many ppl use it, what difference does that make? the fact is its more secure. and its still a good reason to use them. i would rather use a less known OS that is more secure, than use windows and leave all my personal info open to the world cuz their security sux. Im not saying Macs cant be hacked or given viruses and stuff, im just saying they dont and that is a plus in my book.

*edit* for those who think you can't administer OS X, you are wrong. it has all the same capabilities. although they may not be as obvious and easily administered, it is possible. its based on UNIX. it can do just about anything a UNIX server can do. you can even use it as an apache server lol. it may be easier to administer windows, but maybe, just maybe that means that window's is made for the average, not necessarily so intelligent, user.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of Macs... thats because Im annoyed by the their renaming of technologies like Airport (802.11x), G5 (IBM PowerPC), etc. to make it sound like they invented them. Oh and isnt the G4 'velocity engine' similar to MMX... read that in an CPU architecture article once... lots of hype on those Macs...

I digress... when it comes to Apple in server use... does an OS X server have terminal service capabilities, so that users can login from workstations for remote sessions? As well, while some pointed out that Macs have user administration abilities, can you administer group policies... a powerful feature of Win2003 Server?

I do feel that this is a bright move for Apple to go x86... although they will be much closer to PCs, at least they can be used by real people. So much software used in todays business world is x86 & Windows, not "Mac". I know for one thing, Ive never seen a MAC Point of Sale machine configured with debit/credit transaction capabilities... maybe the next time you buy groceries it'll be a Mac behind the counter.

Edited by Mabus