d3bruts1d

Apple On X86

Will you buy an x86 based Mac?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy an x86 based Mac?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe / Unsure

Actually, the only reason it's more secure, for the most part, is because it's not used as much. If you were going to write a virus with the goal of say, DDoSing [myg0t], would you want a minority of computer users or a majority of computers for it to spread to? If I did (I'm not sayiing I have or will), you would want to do it for a windows rig.

The ONLY times that Windows has crashed on me is because of PEBCAK, ID10T, or overclocking. Most of the time, it's because of the fact that there's 5 people using IE on the computer upstairs without a firewall and without doing adware/spyware scans. If it's crashing on you alot, then I very much vote PEBCAK. Bad RAM timings, too little vcore, problem during installation, etc. They can all lead to Windows crashing on you.

Also, Windows gives much more power to the user, with Administrative tools and a better shell.

Omg, they have a pretty and sturdy casing! I can rice my case so it looks like a Cray, but does that make it compute multiple teraflops of data? craping hell no.

Like CO said, you're making VERY bold statements there. Also, the inside of a Mac is horrible, the way that they're built. A micro-ATX, crammed under a CRT, no fans whatsoever, with a hot processor. But, that dosn't matter because they have a vent, right? Pfft, there's no cover on my rig, with a custom HSF, I'm getting 50+C under load CONSTANTLY.

Compatability... as I stated before.

Also, I rather dislike the Mac community. From what I've seen at Mac addict forums, they think that all PC users are dumbasses. Yet, they brag about an easier to use interface. I disagree with them being good for video and image editing, based on my experience with OSX on an eMac. They either:

A. Lock up.

B. Refuse to write data to the hard drive properly.

So, there goes 3 hours of rendering because of incompetent programmers and engineers.

So, you got any more arguments?

actually, OS X is more secure because it is based on UNIX. I work w/ NASA and our primary concern is Security. There is a department on base whose sole job is to test the security of our systems. Windows is considered one of the least secure systems. Why do you think MS has to release a handful of updates every week? This isn't the case w/ OS X. well not until Tiger which has quite a few issues of its own right now due to its early release that was made just to meet a deadline.

As for the issue of macs looking nice, i wasn't talking about how they look but the materials they are made of. They are simply well built machines. Also, although the macs dont have tons of fans, that doesnt mean they aren't sufficiently cooled. my iBook barely ever uses its fan and it NEVER gets hot. even after a couple hours of listening to music, cruising the net, and chatting. (and watching some videos) The laptop its self is only warm to the touch. however if you use a dell laptop, after a couple hours of use it is usually screaming hot. especially if its been in your lap. i can leave my ibook on the floor running and it will never over heat. i have yet to figure out where it gets the air from though lol.

i do agree that the majority of the mac community bad mouths windows and pc users but are you not doing the same thing to them? I myself am partial to both sides. i like both systems for diff reasons. of course, my PC is much much better for gaming lol.

You say windows has more administrative features, however mac has all the same features, just not as easy use. If you know UNIX, the mac becomes alot more powerful. Also, since mac is based on Unix (darwin) then you can also install any UNIX prgm that is ported to darwin UNIX. i myself have installed several compilers that i use at school on Solaris 9.

Another very nice thing about OS X is it is much better at memory management. Basically, you never have to quit a program. when ur done using a program, you close the window but the prgm still runs. when you want to run it again, it loads up almmost instantly. I have never felt any system lag on my mac either because of too many programs running. and i only have 512MB of ram.

what you need to remember kid is that every system has its highs and its lows. a good example is a SUN machine. Complete garbage for video editing but awsome for programing. Mac's may not be gaming machines, but they are great machines for other things such as programing, and video editing. i know you had issues w/ the video editing thing but that is nothing more than User Error. It doesnt even sound like u were on a newer system lol. My school just built a mulimillion dollar Center for the Arts and they have an entire lab full of Dual G5's for video editing. Something tells me that if the PC were in fact better in this field, they would not have spent the money on the macs lol.

i voted no becuase i dont plan on ever willingly using a mac. only when forced to

i voted no because apple has said that it wont be compatable with any computer but there own....

otherwise i would buy it!

see, that i think is stupid. wouldnt it make more sense if you could use OS X on any x86 system? then the ppl who dont want to purchase their hardware, may still buy their OS. idk, thats just my 2 cents.

does mac using x86 cpus mean that they can now use advanced features like more than one mouse button? :blink:

until a mac can make me breakfast, i'll not buy one...

hmm the only thing they would have to do now would be add another mouse button and weel and a couple of good games and id get one maybe

voted maybe, i like apple, and i like trying out something new. personally mac made a bad choice, its going to cost them alot to make sure thier software works on the newer platform. i remember having fun with os 8's network settings. all in all the idea of dual booting windows and osx is good, shlt, i should have voted yes then lol.

Guest Flashstar

1 If Unix was used more, then it would be less secure because hackers would spend more time trying to crack it. The same thing goes for OSX.

2 Macs and ipods are so expensive because their cases cost more. If you build a pc, and use a $300 case, it will feel like a better case, right?

3 There is a reason why Apple is going for Intel processors. Power Pc processors do not offer enough power and produce too much heat it laptops.

Just my 2 cents.

1 If Unix was used more, then it would be less secure because hackers would spend more time trying to crack it. The same thing goes for OSX.

2 Macs and ipods are so expensive because their cases cost more. If you build a pc, and use a $300 case, it will feel like a better case, right?

3 There is a reason why Apple is going for Intel processors. Power Pc processors do not offer enough power and produce too much heat it laptops.

Just my 2 cents.

495297[/snapback]

the heat thing and stuff is just their newer stuff and i agree. the G4 was a great proc and works fine in laptops, but the G5 is just too hot for a laptop. As for number 2, i agree, im just comparing them w/ other premanufactured PC's. you can always build something better. Also, i think Windows is hacked alot not necessarily cuz lots of people hate it but because lots of people just hate microsoft since they are such a 'monopoly'. maybe not legally but it sure seems like it.

Wow. A lot more solid "No" replies than I expected. I would have guessed there would be more "maybe" replies than "no". Guess this is why I'm not a fortune teller. :P

Though it has only been one day. Maybe the numbers will change a bit more during the remaining time for the poll.