1. 1. Will you buy an x86 based Mac?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe / Unsure

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. A lot more solid "No" replies than I expected. I would have guessed there would be more "maybe" replies than "no". Guess this is why I'm not a fortune teller. :P

Though it has only been one day. Maybe the numbers will change a bit more during the remaining time for the poll.

495855[/snapback]

Problay because there still macs but us intel proccessors instead of ones made by mac.

we were just using a dule g5 today.. we were running 23 video's with no slowdown.. at all.. !! they are great computers.. im happy the osx has come out. .and intel will make em that much better

we were just using a dule g5 today.. we were running 23 video's with no slowdown.. at all.. !! they are great computers.. im happy the osx has come out. .and intel will make em that much better

496867[/snapback]

thank god im not the only one on here who likes macs. there are alot of mac haters/pc fanboys on these forums. most of which havent even used a mac lol. i myself like both mac and PC. mac is really no different than dell except that macs actually work. dells are crappy quality, but are also proprietary. im not really partial to any system. i like diff systems for diff things. i like windows for gaming, and mac for prgming. i also like solaris systems for programming but ive never seen a solaris laptop haha so my laptop is a mac :)

Your not the only Mac person, I definately appreciate them. Took a video editing class where we had like 10 Macs and a couple PC's. No way in heck I'd ever use a PC for it. Plus the new OS looks so sexy and is actually stable! Even with XP fully updated I still have crashes about every other day. :glare:

dude, have u ever used a mac? just holding one of their laptops, i can tell you that the materials are alot better. if you hold a dell laptop, it feels like cheap plastic. however my ibook doesnt. if you ever use a powerbook its even better cuz its made of aluminum. not to mention the things just last longer. my sister has a G3 iBook clamshell thing. its ugly, but it still works and its old as crap. at least 6 yrs. mac is very proprietary, which i dont like, however their stuff works like its supposed to so i cant complain. also, macs are not as expensive as you may think. my ibook was $996. a dell laptop equivalent in performance came out to be about $1200. (based on the 700m w/ Pentium M proc) as for making bold statements, unless you've owned one, or at least used one, you can't make judgments. I own both a mac and a windows computer. i like the quality of the mac, and the OS is much more stable, but i also prefer windows because of the rediculous software backing. plus i like my pc because i can upgrade it much easier. fact is, they both have their strong/weak points. its the same w/ any system.

*edit* also, lets not forget that OS X is more secure than windows. well, w/ tiger we have seen more security violations than any previous OS X, but hopefully they'll fix those. and 10.4 is still more secure than windows. haha Although, personally, i think some of the security is gonna go downhill now that they're gonna go to x86 and PC style stuff. One thing that helped keep OS X secure is the architecture. eh, all well.

495150[/snapback]

Ive taken advanced media classes using both MACS and PC's. that notbook equivilent you speak of is a rip off, you could find a better one for cheaper iguarantee (if you tried), also its hard to make hardware estimates as both setups are different. Ive owned a mac, ive used them. There are many different PC manufacters so its difficult to compare the two at times. Again as I mentioned, you are correct about the materials, I would have to say the case quality and durability of Macs is superior to the average prebuilt pc manufacteres. Never the less there are exceptions. Also as KB said, its true that mac's are difficult to administrate due to their craptacular interface. Also your point about virus's and security doesn't stand much ground. People don't hack macs because they arn't worth the time when %95 of people use PC's. I can understand why you like macs, they are sexier then "most" of your common pre-builts, but the PC world owns.

I've never bought a fully config'd computer, but since Apple won't allow you to do that, I may actually have to break down and get one. I"ve wanted to for a while, but they are just too dang $$$. If I can mod-chip the new Intel architecture, I will try to build it though...

I like Macs, and would prefer to have an iMac or a MacMini over a Windows xxxx box. I don't really care about some flashy interface, I want the performance and stability - M$ can't do that.

I like Macs. I owned one until 2004, when I got the rig below. OS X is cool and all, but without many games for it that I like, I don't choose it over Windows. Sure windows crashes every once in a while for me, but the large amount of software for it makes up for that. Granted, I like editing videos on macs more than windows. If I can install OS X on my system and dual boot between XP and X, I might do that.

Now then, I must say that my Mac blew. iMac DV, slow slow slow. The 1GB of RAM I got for it didn't help much either. Good riddance iMac DV, you WON'T be missed.

not really, i prefer the windows/linux pcs over macintosh ... i know they are great for video editing and sound boards (props to stage crew) but if they go x86 they would IMO lose that edge they have in that feild ... not to mention thier OS sucks (IMO)

495093[/snapback]

That