Looking To Buy New Speakers+audio Card?

thef1re

I am currently using the onboard sound on my mobo. I think its sounds ok..though why do i need a PC AUDIO CARD? Why do people get one?

Also i currently use 2 frikken huge cheap crap speakers that ive been suing with my computers ever since 1998!

So i am looking to buy some new speakers. Can someone recommend me some brands or models? And whats best for bucks etc. Cause i know NOTHING about em. Also would i need a PC AUDIO CARD to get most out of my new speakers??

Do i need 5.1? My family's got a Theratre TV with full on 5.1 . downstiars so i dont really think i need 5.1 for computing, but if 5.1 is like best for bucks, recommened me some.

Also i dont want to spend more then 200$ AUST MAX..

Well the I would recommend Logitech Z5300 they are good speakers they are about $143 US dollars which comes to about 185.00 at the present conversion rate which is below your limit. The speakers are good. I personally have the Z550 which rox. I bought a 5300 for a customer and they like it as well.

Link

A sound card will almost always sound better then onbaord sound, especially if your not cheap and you will notice the difference. Sound cards offer more options and connectors then most onboard sound. Sound cards also take a small load off of the CPU, all Sound is processed by sound card when installed.

Good Computer speakers are relativly cheap, and for 200 You can get a decient pair of 5.1 speakers and a sound card. So shop around.

Edited by Ste

Nah, that's how it used to be. For general use, onboard sound is pretty snazzy these days. You only need a sound card if you want better than 5.1 (like 6.1 or 7.1) or some of the EAX Environmental features that a card like the Audigy2 provides.

if you are a music freak or like ambience in games then a sound card is an improvement on ANY onboard sound in my experience. If you dont have a keen ear/dont care, then dont get one.

I have a 2.1 (left, right, and sub) Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....113-143R&depa=0

but keep in mind those are OEM so they come with the bare minimum. They are GREAT speakers, especially for the price. I dont see the use for 5.1 unless you just love gaming, like you said it wouldnt be for movies.

As for a sound card.... i have a CreativeLabs Audigy which is good. just look em up on ebay and what not. i found mine for like 25 bux.

also my onboard is an 8-channel setup but the 5.1 audigy still sounds distinctly better

Edited by Onyks

Guest Jeremy

I would suggest getting a soundcard, it sounds a LOT better. Get the Audigy 2. But yeah, Logitech speakers are awsome, so take your pic from one of those.

I will just put in a small point.

If you want a better sound card for music, then I would sugest teaming it up with hi fi parts rather than a pc speaker set. I haven't heard a set of pc speakers that can compete with hi fi parts, though there are some that are very good.

Just my opinion.

I will just put in a small point.

If you want a better sound card for music, then I would sugest teaming it up with hi fi parts rather than a pc speaker set. I haven't heard a set of pc speakers that can compete with hi fi parts, though there are some that are very good.

Just my opinion.

463222[/snapback]

ya very true, on that note though... if you have a digital out on your sound card how do you buy a cable to run to a receiver? it would be a 3.5mm to... ummm... i have no idea if it would be coaxial or optical at the other end. anyways, does anyone know where to get such a cord?

Yeh ok. Ill prob go with 2.1 but are 5.1 for gaming really sound much better? Casue i dont see how i will place them 5.1 speakers correctly. ill have to stick them up walls and whatnot.

Edited by thef1re