Omg Huge Ticket

airman

i said i wasn't repsonding to what you said, but since you persist. if your car only has enough hp to go 75, and you need to pass someone going 65, your 100 hp I-2 engine will take ages to get up that extra speed. Also the fact that in the US (and many other countires) cars are hobby almost more so then they are a mode of transportation. Manufatures put large amount of horsepower in their cars for the enthusiast. Even if racing your car isn't a large part of your day, there are drag stips and autocrosses where anyone with the entry fee and a borrowed helmet can go race. there are also exteme situations where using speed is necessary. being chased, by a maniac with road rage, wife having a baby, mother having a heart attack on the farm , friend got in an ATV out in the desert, and it in ones better judgetment to execed the posted limit. Life is much about risk management, some times you need to take risk to avoid greater dangers. our socity is aboiut laying down laws much of the time it is the people's responibility to conform to them. (i won't get into big goverment/small goverment). No it's not perfect, but it's not total anarcy. Its not like mexico where, the cop pulled you over cus he says that yellow light was red, you don't have a $20 in your wallet to keep your car from getting impouded. cus if that happens you may never see it again.

sure the goverment could mandate a max hp for all cars. maybe create a special permit for owning/modiring cars above that, charge extra-extra taxes on race tracks, but who knows it may happen later on...hopefully i won't be around if my country goes that far.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yikes!

i was only saying that speed limits were kinda....odd....and some of the reasons for getting tickets...kinda backwards....

for info, my 75hp 16v (1250cc) Fiesta will go from 65-75 fecking quickly. if a 100HP engine takes ages to increase 10mph, it has issues :lol:

dont get me wrong, i'm all for power. but, half the people who are spouting off about never exceeding the speed limit....i bet they have power-houses under their bonnets and i bet it's only a minority that go to race tracks and stuff.

just my $0.02...

i was exagerating. your festiva only has the the bare necessities too, hence it's very light. it probably weights 2/3rds of today's average compact car (in the us). The way compact/ecomny cars are made in the us, with all the emmisions laws (and rewards for low emissions) it would take a while to get from 65 to 75, especially in an auto and it's already in its high gear.

you were asking why cars have 400hp engines if there is such a small speed limit here. for one thing not many cars have much over 350hp stock and cost less then $50k. even fewer have 400 and are under $100k. so odd are if somone has 400hp they either are into racing or at the very least have money to burn.

you mentioned that people were avoiding you question...so there you have it...two answers.

I have my sights set on a volvo...120hp max...but in it's condition, 80...maybe

I see cars as a way to get from pt a to pt b, as long as it can do 75 (max speed on US roads) it's good enough for me.

Did you do this? Haha.

I've never recieved a ticket, because I drive too dang perfectly.

Famous last words...check your taillights. :P

I think there is a reason why americans pay for healthcare and English people dont.

Its because freakin idiots here shoot and stab each other everyday. I dont think any european country is legally allowed to have guns.

418858[/snapback]

actually it's because congress rejected hillary clintons sociallized healthcare project when she was the first lady. another thing we haven't socialized...yet :|

my bad...seems as if i lead this off topic :( sorry :|

still my perception is that in the US tickets are issued quite a lot. the UK has speed cameras to catch unsuspecting people, or rather, those who cannot see an ENORMOUS yellow day-glo box and slow down. the law here is that they have to warn you of speed cameras before you go through them....stupid or what?

we still have traffic police to catch the complete retards that weave and drive aggressively, which i believe is more of a problem than speeding.

many places have laws against speed cameras, they are classified as speed traps, other places don't have laws against speed traps. Here they have cameras a a lot of stop lights. once they got over the issue of the company who installed and maintained them getting a portion of each violation (and increasing the timing so more people got tickets) it have gone over well.

I know around here. i've been passed by cops while going 75. In the city have only come across 1 or 2 that have their radar turned on. There are just too many cars especially on the i-state. so i assume they are merely looking for the guy going 15+ mph more then everyone else or driving eratically.

Americans care more about how fast can I get from a dead stop at this light to the next one. Not what the top speed of our cars are. The average car buyer looks at 0-60 and 1/4 times more then top speed. This of course is for the reason its not legal, cept on the track with proper safety.

hmm, the problem i see there with 0-60 time is that if you utilised it to it's max potential (ie, you went from 0-60 in 6 seconds) police here would nail you for dangerous driving! still, it doesnt mean that we dont do it, we just do it when the police are not looking...

the moral of the story is: everyone does it, just dont get caught.

I don't care who you are, how fast you think you can drive, or what the speed limits are.

Driving recklessly is going to get someone killed. Whether it be a friend, family member, or god forbid it be yourself. You guys wanna laugh and joke about how fast you think you can drive?

If you're ever involved in a wreck, tell the fire department that you'll cut yourself out, and save your own life, because you're too ignorant to follow the law. Why should we waste our time on..you?