Cutting Out Mobo Panel

anyone here ever cut out a large square out of the mobo tray in their case right behind where the cpu is? seems like this would make heavy HSF or h2o blocks swaps a breeze

i have a new case coming and i was thinking about doing this so that future h2o or HSF swaps wont require removing the entire system, just remove the back panel of the case to access the screws/nuts from behind..........

i even thought about cutting an 80mm hole in the back panel and finding a low profile 80mm fan and mounting it to the back panel right onto the mobo where the cpu socket is........

ideas...ideas...me ponders

Just having a gaping hole would look weird, a slim low-profile fan would make it look better, I dont think it would help performance or temp that much, maybe a degree or two

Just having a gaping hole would look weird, a slim low-profile fan would make it look better, I dont think it would help performance or temp that much, maybe a degree or two

413065[/snapback]

well, originally what i was talking about was cutting a large square hole in the metal tray that the motherboard mounts to, because my TDX block has to be bolted onto the motherboard. otherwise you would have to take out your whole system to get to the back of the motherboard, but venting the back side panel with a fan was an afterthought

yeah, when i had the aquarius 2 kit i had to take out the mobo because of its screws, and bracket, so now i have a koolance block that doesnt requre any screws and i can leave the cpu bracket in,

There's no reason NOT to do something like that. As long as you aren't removing structural support from the MOBO panel, why not go for it?

You could even add an intake fan to the sidepanel behind it and make it more purposeful that way.

But if you went for Peltier or Phasechange, you'd have to insulate the entire area against condensation....

If you do get a kind of wave on the tray afterwards cause of the modified structure just screw on a piece of mesh and make holes where you need them ;)

Mesh tray would look cool :P

Edited by kobalt

If you do get a kind of wave on the tray afterwards cause of the modified structure just screw on a piece of mesh and make holes where you need them ;)

Mesh tray would look cool :P

413441[/snapback]

:withstupid: Mesh tray sounds cool. Hey Kobalt since you got mesh on ure drive bays y not make ure case theme mesh. Just a thought.