I Have A Concern About Going Raid 0

overclocknewb

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

accually im thinking of just getting another 36gig raptor and runnign it in jbod just so i have more space, just cause i dont really wanna deal with raid-0.

but it really just comes down to money and what your more comfertable with

Edited by ThunderChicken

Yeah, I wish that had come out before I built my computer. However, I've been running two 36gb raptors in raid 0 for months without problems, and I'd backup all the data that I care about anyway. I probably won't do it again, but it hasn't created any problems for me so far.

the most practical uses of raid 0:

install your OS

run your games / programs

run your virtual memory

your OS can be reinstalled from your boot disk and programs can be backed up on larger standard hard drives or any other storage media your chose to use

but for the three things i listed above riad 0 is awesome and low risk, obviously you wouldnt want to keep important files on a raid 0 array unless they were backed up, but by keeping a copy of them on the raid 0 array you can load them faster. if speed and tweaking arent your thing, its probably not worth the trouble for a home user.

I decided to go RAID 1 and it is working beautifully. Not sure if it's the drives or not, but my computer is definitely faster. It boots a good 10 seconds quicker than before and windows come up immediately when I use explorer. I don't think it did anything for gaming performance, but my machine is quick enough where I don't really see what it could've done. All in all, I'm very happy with it this way. Hopefully I'll get around to getting a new mobo someday that supports RAID 5. Then I'll have the best of both worlds.

I just installed a RAID0 array for my games and it works very well. Load times are noticeably reduced. As for concerns of losing data I think anyone that would bother with any type of RAID set would be backing up important files anyway.