And The Controversy Goes On!

Magicky

Fastest CPU @ Stock speeds is the Athlon 64 FX-53. No P4 can touch it in gaming benchmarks.

1. I wouldn't trust anything on Tom's Hardware.

2. That list is a year and a half old.

For a motherboard, the MSI K8N Neo2 can't be beat for Socket 939.

yeah for the fastest out of the box CPU the athlon64 and athlon fx are bar none the fastest,and best buy right now. plus you have the ability to run 64 bit os and apps in the future.

the new intel rigs are just to expensive if you go with the socket t p4, you will be required to get a pci expresss video card and ddr2 memory

Thanks for the heads-up. I did some shopping around and found out:

1) The 64 FX-53 runs around $600-650, with the Neo mobo from MSI around $135.

2) I can get a combo board, processor (AMD64 FX-51 3400 , socket 939) + a 1 gig stick of Kingston PC 3200 DDR 400 RAM for $590.

The biggest difference in processors appears to be the core clock speed of 2.4 vs 2.2, and -53 has 939 pins with the -51 having 940 pins. So, a couple of questions;

1) If I did my homework right, does the Neo mobo support both processors?

2) How overclockable are these products?

I'd like to get a deal, no question with these pricey components, and the bundled cpu/mobo/ram sound great, but if i'm gonna sink that much cash (and break with Intel {sniff}) I'd just a soon get the biggetst bang for my buck.

Thanks again guys...

The 64 FX-53 runs around $600-650

No, that is the socket 940 version of the FX, which requires the use of ECC RAM. Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but I don't think the memory controller on the 940 is as good as the 939? Get the 939 version, it's like $200 more but it's what you should get.

I would definitely spring for the S939 FX-53 if you can afford it. It's worth every penny and OCs very well. You'll have no problems getting good bench scores, and it'll game like no Intel.

BTW: I have a S939 FX-53 that I'll be selling in about 2 weeks. It's only been used about 3 weeks total, and I have never really pushed it. It'll come with the warranty, box, and fan. I'll give you a good deal on it, if you are interested. PM me for more details.

No, that is the socket 940 version of the FX, which requires the use of ECC RAM.  Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but I don't think the memory controller on the 940 is as good as the 939?  Get the 939 version, it's like $200 more but it's what you should get.

The memory controler is not any worse, just different. The 940 pin FXes are just unlocked opteron 1xxs. Registered memory is a bit slower and more expensive, but you can use alot more of it before you have problems and it is better for long term/mission critical stability.

Any way sockets 939 and 940 are NOT compatable. For gaming/gerneral useage you will probably want socket 939.

Edited by oralpain

The memory controler is not any worse, just different. The 940 pin FXes are just unlocked opteron 1xxs. Registered memory is a bit slower and more expensive, but you can use alot more of it before you have problems and it is better for long term/mission critical stability.

Any way sockets 939 and 940 are NOT compatable. For gaming/gerneral useage you will probably want socket 939.

All Opterons are unlocked ;)