Fan Cooling

I have a new AMD XP 3200+ in my case and ever since then i have had massive heat issues. I have a radeon 9800 pro 256mb video card and two sticks 512 ddr 266. i have a 400 wat psu. i was haveing a big problem with cooling because my cpu was runing through the roof.. woudln't even keep stable without overheating and restarting under no load and no overclocking. i figured this was well...bad. my cpu fan is a tornado 10+ copper heat sink, artctic silver 5 thermal compound and all. and i had 3 case fans flowing air. i then figured my case needed a cooling upgrade but didn't want to spend the money for water cooling if i wasn't gonna overclock it. i put 2 fans in the front of the case for some extra air flow and got the 400 wat power suply with a good sized fan on it. this is a "crude" diagram of what my case airflow is now (didn't draw in the case fan blowing from the side). i am currently running about 50c not too shure if this is a decent comp for my setup ... i doubt it.. but thats what the guy at the computer store said amd run really hot.. but that hot??? i doubt it but.. thought i would post here.

Edited by D4rkn3ss_X

sounds like you didnt have a problem until you upgraded to the 3200+ so try reseating the heat sink first and see if that helps. make sure the hs is getting good contact and the fan on the hs is working properly.

this setup currently has the 3200 in it and i have reseated the heatsink multiple times. i'll try lapping the heat sink .. that should drop the temp a bit... tryed reaplying thermal compound a couple times too. so i dont' think that is the problem

Definately a HS not having good contact problem, and dont ever go see your computer guy aagain he's a fake if you told him what you told us and that was his answer Geeess!!. <_< and with a tornado on , double GEESSS!!!

Not oc'ed, AMD aren't supposed to run over mid to high 40's, i mean c'mon i have a 2500 that i look funny when it reaches 42

Edited by kobalt

Could it be restarting because you are using a 3200+(400MHz FSB) with DDr 266 memory?

well... when i checked the biso after the auto restart it said the cpu temp was at like 70's c soo... i figured that was it. also the RAM is stable cuz i got my computer to run a server stable for the past couple days. the restartin was before i put in 2 more fans

i'll check into the AS5 aplication.. my friend i was borrowing the compund from told me put as little as possible while still covering the core.. to where you could practically see through it. another said about half a rice grain. i figure the site will have an adequate amount. i gues i could look into a biger tornado possibly.

Edited by D4rkn3ss_X

• 2 weeks later...

Any way you could post a pic of what your case looks like at this moment? I saw that in some other thread and it really helped in figuring out what the problem was.

As for the AS5, half a grain of rice on the core spread to evenly cover with a credit card or other small device like that. Then take a plastic bag and put some AS5 on the outside of it and rub it into the bottom of the heatsink to fill the small gaps. Wipe it off with a paper towel, reseat the bad boy, and you're done.

Without being insulting... you did clean off the old thermal compound (H/sink) with de-natured alcohol (or similar), didn't you? <_<

Old compound will create a barrier... and impede the efficiency of your new application ;)

P.s. lapping that h/sink is a great idea! :D